can I have live plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by genie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. genie

genie Well Known Member Member

I realize that this is very low light (55 gallon with one 48" 40W bulb).... but are there any aquatic plants that I can have. I like live plants because I think that they make the water quality better 4 the fishies.

Oh, I have angels, red eye tetras, Killifish, and a small clown pleco.

2. fbn

fbn Well Known Member Member

Java moss would probably do good. I have some in a low light tank and it does great! I really like this plant too!

3. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I have a 36g with only the stock 20W fluorescent, so I'm in the same boat. I have a large growth of java moss that seems to be thriving and provides plenty of hiding places for baby shrimp and platies. It does tend to spread throughout your tank though, so if you're looking for strategic placement be prepared to cut it back :).

I also have an aponogeton that seems to be struggling, but is hanging in there. Also have some Elodea to give a bit of vertical background. All of these are pretty common low light plants and should be easy to get a hold of. I've also heard java fern is good though I don't have any myself.

4. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Java Fern also grows very well with those conditions. I have a 20w bulb in my 30g and the three ferns I have are doing very well.

Also Hornwort would do great. Hornwort grows in practically any conditions VERY thriveingly as long as there is no salt present.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Java Fern, Java Moss, anubias and bolbitis are all good low light plants.
    carol

6. OP
    OP
    genie

genie Well Known Member Member

thanks!!

7. N

Neji Valued Member Member

I always thought 55 gallons have two light fixtures? I guess there are different fixtures for different tanks :) You can always buy a fixture with two light inputs :) They might be more expensive at the pet store but you can try and find them at Home Depot :) Even though.... since you have a low light aquarium (like you said) you should get some java ferns :) I have a bunch of them in all of my tanks and they are really good! Also, try and find some anubias since they are low light along with bronze wentz. I think a bunch of other people already told you this but oh well :)

8. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

How about crypts (Cryptocoryne spp.)? As long as the gravel's clay based or something with nutrients and relatively deep (2") they will grow in your tank very well.

9. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

10. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, no. Amazon sword needs high levels of light (it is definitely not a low light plant) and grows HUGE. I mean huge enough to fill a 75 gallon tank.

I'd go with the plants suggested above:

Java Fern

Java Moss

Anubias nana

Cryptocoryne

Hornwort

Bolbitis (African Water Fern)

11. N

Lol I have amazon swords in my 29 gallon tank with one 20 watt bulb :p although I'm surprised they are very green and still alive :S although I don't know what I did but I don't recommend anyone doing it :p I am going to get some T5 H0 bulbs later they high intensity light bulbs :) They aren't too expensive I found out :) and the lights give out a LOT more light than the normal T8's :)

12. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

If you give it a few more months Neji you will find your Sword will die. They are not low light plants at all & you havn't done anything special. They take time to die because they are such a hardy plant.

13. N

I have had the swords for 2 years now. I'm pretty sure they aren't dying after 2 years!

14. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I tried swords in my 36g before I really knew they were high light plants. They survived for about 3 months but didn't grow at all and started to look a little stretched and thin. Then I transplanted them into my 5g with a 15W incandescent bulb and now they fill the entire tank. The shrimp love them, but it does look a bit like trying to stuff an oak tree into a jelly jar :).

I'd say try to get a new light strip for your 55g if you can and then you can have a bit more variety. Even if you could bring it up to 1.5 or 2wpg that would greatly increase your choices. I would love to get a 65W T5 fixture or maybe dual 24W, but I don't know if I'm ready to get into heavily planted high light tanks :).

15. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Whatever you say Neji.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice