Can I have floating plants with mbuna cichlids?

AlejandroRodriguez

I'm setting up a yellow lab species tank, and I'm planning on adding moss to the rock
And I was thinking that some floating plants would look nice in my scape

Any chance for them to survive and not te be completely eaten by the mbuna?

Pd.: I want real floating plants, not plant that you can float (some people float anacharis for example)

qldmick

Try it, I have frogbit in with Placidochromis phenochilus "Tanzania" and albino dragon bloods, though technically peacocks and haps. I have keep anubias and java fern with electric yellows.

BigBeardDaHuZi

AlejandroRodriguez said:
I'm setting up a yellow lab species tank, and I'm planning on adding moss to the rock
And I was thinking that some floating plants would look nice in my scape

Any chance for them to survive and not te be completely eaten by the mbuna?

Pd.: I want real floating plants, not plant that you can float (some people float anacharis for example)
What is your water hardness and pH? I am curious too if that will work out.
Would love it if some frogbit could survive in that water, but usually you just hear jungle val and anubias.

I suspect the moss you put in will make a really nice snack for as long as it lasts. Mbuna are algae grazers by nature.

jmaldo

Good Question!
Just starting an African Build myself. During research, as mentioned highly unlikely for plants to grow well with the Africans, just their nature to uproot.
But I am a "Planted Tank" guy. A keeper or two has mentioned Vals, Crinum calamistratum and of course Anubias and Java Fern which I just ordered from a member here may work. If they fail, my back-up plan maybe try to plant in some pots.
"Good Idea" on trying some floaters, which I have had success with in the past not with Africans though.
Frogbit
Hornwort
A few others I may try.
Red Root Floater
Dwarf water lettuce
Giant Duckweed ?

Last resort some faux plants. :eek::(
Let's see if some "Veteran" African keepers can offer some ideas A201 MacZ

Good Luck!

BigBeardDaHuZi

I am curious if you can put jungle val in pots. I really want something green growing in there that isn't algae. Something they can't tear up. Anubias glued to rocks might happen.

I'm getting ready for an African Cichlid build too

AlejandroRodriguez

I think I'll give the frogbit a try, my plans are to get the Yellow Labs as juveniles, so maybe they wont we able to eat it all right know
Who knows maybe the will give the chance to enjoy it for a few months

BigBeardDaHuZi

AlejandroRodriguez said:
I think I'll give the frogbit a try, my plans are to get the Yellow Labs as juveniles, so maybe they wont we able to eat it all right know
Who knows maybe the will give the chance to enjoy it for a few months
Let us know how it goes!

qldmick

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
I am curious if you can put jungle val in pots. I really want something green growing in there that isn't algae. Something they can't tear up. Anubias glued to rocks might happen.

I'm getting ready for an African Cichlid build too
Mines doing alright.
P9231258.JPG

Top Bottom