Can I Have Anything In My Iso Tank?

1. KevInLA

KevInLA Valued Member Member

Just a little help on setting up an isolation tank - Getting a 60 gallon main tank w/ either a 2-10 gallon 2nd tank for isolations, sick fish, etc.

My question is, is there anything I can keep in my iso tank that isnt really prone to disease? Im thinking like snails, shrimp, etc. Id only have about 2-3 American cichlids in the main tank that im really asking this for. My cichlids will be on the smaller side....3-5 inches max. Im wanting to keep some kind of bio-load flowing consistently at all times in the iso tank.

Thanks

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

In my isolation tank (10gal) I usually have either a new fish or the most recent batch of African cichlid fry. You can easily get some mystery snails in there and they will keep it cycled. Get 3 or so, they have a surprisingly large bio load for a snail. I wouldn't want to add any small critters like shrimp because if you need to medicate a fish in then tank the shrimp may be effected. Also lots of fish love to eat shrimp, so having any fish you plan to quarantine in there ups the chance of the shrimp getting eaten.

If you go with the mystery snails, be sure to feed them regularly. They love their algae wafers, duckweed, and veggie slices. Also, try to get a variety of colors. There's some lovely pinks, purples, and blues out there.

3. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Valued Member Member

Thanks. I should also have added I wasnt going to be doing any breeding so the usage of the iso tank would likely be minimal or situational. Id rather just have one up and running at all times and have something in there. Snails sound good to me. Thanks for the tips!

4. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

You could also have a sponge filter in your main tank that you switch over to the quarantine tank and not have to worry about keeping the quarantine tank up and running. That is a popular method for always keeping a seeded filter on stand by.