can i have an iridescent and a albino shark in the same tank

kfan20
I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank that houses an iridescent shark and an upside down catfish. I just added an albino shark today and have read online that they can be aggressive towards each other. can anyone offer some insight?

Nick G
Hello kfan, Welcome to Fishlore! I'm afraid that bothan ID Shark and an Albino Shark will grow too big to be kept in a 30gal tank. The Albino Shark really needs a tank 55gals plus, although you could keep one in a 30gal I wouldn't recommend it. As for the ID Shark, they grow to 4 ft long, and need HUGE tanks, 300 gallons plus. If you keep yours in a 30gal it will die due to organ failure before too long, caused by stunted growth. I'd suggest rehoming him if possible.

Elodea
Yep. ID sharks are big enough to literally bust the tank if it's smaller than 300 gallons, and the Albino shark is pretty active.

If you keep an ID shark in a small tank, stress can cause it to smash itself at the tank walls, either fatally injuring itself or even cracking the glass of the tank (not good, if you ask me).

jhendricks
You can keep them in the same tank and I'm sure u already kno you will need a bigger tank but the place where I get my fish has about ten of them in a 125 had have been fine for about 8years

Elodea
I respectfully disagree. Fish stores cannot afford to get perfect setups for each fish, and also, they will not be the permanent homes for these fish either. On the other hand, when you buy a fish, it will be under tyour care forever (or until you rehome it), so you should provide with its proper home as soon as possible.

I doubt that the fish store has had the exact same fish there for 8 years, they've probably been sold, then new shipments come, and the cycle repeats itself.

kfan20
Yes I am aware of the ID size issue. I already have a bigger tank in progress and also have a home for it to go to when it gets to big for the the tanks I have (or am getting). I appreciate the advice. However, my albino shark had just lied on the bottom since we got him yesterday. All my water parameters are good. The only thing I can think of is that the tank he came from in the fish store had the temperature quite high (82-84 F) and mine is at a good 78 F. also, I have no hiding spots for the albino yet. Could this be why he is doing that???

LyndaB
He's probably overly stressed. Just because you think he fits in that tank now, he most likely does not. And he knows it. And will suffer as a result. You should rehome as soon as possible.

Always purchase your fish being able to provide them with the environment they'll require at adult size. Anything less is unfair to the fish.

kfan20
He came from a 10 gallon tank and is about to goin into a 100 gallon

Elodea
100 gallon is still way to small for an ID shark. They'll hit about 4 feet long and he won't be able to turn around in the tank. We always put our fish first before our own personal preferences. Unfortunately, this means 300 gallons or bust.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fashooga
Replies
Views
mishee
Replies
Views
catsma_97504
Replies
Views