Can I have an angelfish\compatibility? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by fbn, Mar 31, 2010.

1. fbn

fbnWell Known MemberMember

My Fish:
    2 killifish
    2 danios..Might give them away.
    1 Female GBR
    1 SAE
    2 platies...hope to get 2 or 3 more
    7 corys

Will the Angelfish and GBR be fine together? My tank really needs one bigger fish to bring it all together. I'd love to get an angelfish. I might start looking around for the perfect one :) Thanks!!

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Is the Betta still in that tank?
    The angelfish and the one GBR should be fine.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    fbn

No he is not. Just a note about the danios...if they are nippy...I will get rid of them. Thanks a lot!

4. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome :) Please update your aquarium info please :)
    Thanks!
    Carol

5. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I would also say that a 29gal will eventually be too small for even one angelfish. I have a friend who temporarily has his two full-grown angelfish in his 29gal and they are WAY too big for the tank. Just keep in mind that adult angelfish get to be approximately 6" long and abut 9-10" tall, so they really need a taller tank than an 18" 29gal.

6. OP
    OP
    fbn

Well, are there any dwarf varieties then??

7. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

No, there is no dwart freshwater angels. sorry.. but there isn't many standard size tanks taller then 18 - 20 inchs. so if your just doing one.. go for it. jmho

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    fbn

Ugh...that's not cool. I really really really wanted an angel!!

9. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

You can still get one, just be prepared for it to get too big to be comfortable in your tank by the time it's full-grown. :)

As an aside, I have a 46gal bowfront tank that is 24" tall, so yes, readily available tanks DO come in heights greater than 18-20". I got mine at a yard sale for $50 and it came with a light fixture, Penguin filter, and a whole bunch of miscellaneous extras.

10. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I think if you have no danios, the rest should be fine IMO :)

11. OP
    OP
    fbn

Great!! My hunt shall begin for the perfect Angel :)

12. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

some advice when getting one :)
    bring an extra vial to get a tube of their water....test the ph to your ph because angels are super sensitive to different ph's and if its a huge difference, make sure you take a good hour or more to acclimate....:)

13. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

20 high,29,30,40 breeder,55,75,125 gal tanks.18-20 in thats why i said "Standard".

14. OP
    OP
    fbn

Okay, thanks a lot!! I'll have to make sure I do that!

15. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

If SAE stands for Siamese Algae Eater I would give this potentially nasty fish away.

I don't know why bassdonediva considers a 29gal tank as too small even for one Angelfish. Properly set, a 20gal tall seems ideal for breeding Angelfish. I would dare to keep paired-off Angelfish in a 29gal with mostly substrate dwellers, like Corydoras species (e.g. Julii, Panda, Bronze et al) and/or small peaceful loaches (Kuhli, Yo-yo... beware of the Skunk loach!)

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

16. OP
    OP
    fbn

You have mistaken the SAE with CAE. The Chinese Algae eater is the aggressive one. SAE are nice community fish.

17. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

right!

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice