can i have a sm. water frog, two guppys and a chinese sucker fish in one tank

1. k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

hey everyone i got a 10 gallon tank for my little sister today and iw as wondering if the fish can live with no filter or anything jsut a light on top and cover. theres a sm. water frog, two guppies and a chinese sucker fish. its jsut a small set up for her roomm nothing big ya know. thanks in advance!

2. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

Those species should do fine together in that tank, however you should definitely get a filter for it. Fish produce waste, without some form of a filter the fish eventually will poison themselves. They make several different models, a very cheap option would be whats called a "sponge filter". A pretty cheap and effective option as all you need is a $10 filter, a $15 air pump, and some very cheap air stones. This would be the bare minimum and if possible you should invest in a better power filter. Read up on the nitrogen cycle (linked somewhere on the homepage) and make sure you will be able to change the water at least once a month to keep your fish happy!

best of luck for your new aquarium!

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to disagree. Chinese algae eaters don't belong in a 10 gallon, and they become aggressive as they get older. A CAE wouldn't be a good match for what you want.

4. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

Ditto on the the CAE. It needs to be in a minimum of 40 gallons with two caves. It will also prefer meatier foods as it grows and they eat a lot. If it does not have proper housing and food, it can become very aggressive towards it's tankmates. The two guppies and the frog should be okay but they really do need a filter. Depending on the water temp, they may need a heater as well. If you make sure the two guppies are both males, then you won't need to worry too much about a population explosion.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. OP
    OP
    k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

Oh well they have been in the 10 g tank for almost a week now. They are doing fine. And i got a filter, and heater. Thanks everyone!!

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Please take the advice from harpua2002 and Gremlin.
    A week is no indication if a tank is going to succeed or not.
    :;shIn your other thread, you said the frog is skinny.

Please save yourself and your sister the trouble and these fish/frog possible injury or illness and give them a proper home or return the CAE.

8. gremlin

A CAE really is not a good fish for a 10 gallon tank. They can grow quite fast. Mine went from 3/4 inch to 6 inches in the first 4 months I had it. It is now even larger -possibly as large as it will get but I'm not sure. I have mine in a 40 gallon breeder tank right now, and it is doing okay, but isn't very happy about the restricted space since it is used to my pond. Every once in a while it will swim around and around and bump into the walls. It settles down fairly quickly, but I'm sure it will be very happy when it can go back out into the pond.

Here are a couple pics of mine - there is a ruler right in front of the tank. I was trying to get an idea of about how long mine was...

Attached Files:

9. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Wow, Gremlin, that's one big CAE! If you ask me, the only place (other than your pond) it should be put in is an African cichlid tank. With very big African cichlids. (or else the cichlids will get their butts kicked).

I would strongly advise you to get a larger tank for the CAE or return him. Otherwise, it's seriously possible that he decides to eat the guppies and the frogs, which, I'm sure, will be a very traumatic experience for you both.

10. gremlin

Yeah, he/she is sure a nice big torpedo of a fish. Fortunately, it gets along fine with all my other fish. It even gets along fine with the two sailfin plecos and three cories in their winter tank. I checked the temp in my pond this afternoon at 3:30 pm - 64 degrees farenheit. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait a while still before I can stop those every other day water changes...ugh.

11. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

At least the tank is small. Gremlin, I've heard that CAE occasionally suck on other fish. Do yours do that to the goldfish?

12. gremlin

Nope - not at all. Of course, mine is the only cae, has multiple caves/rock shelves to hide in, has access to algae, snails, algae wafers, bugs, tubifex worms, goldfish pellets, and sinking carnivore tablets. I think the important thing with CAE's is to provide a wide variety of foods (including carnivore type diets) and lots of hiding places.