Can I have 5 fishes - 5 gallon hex

rajs

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 2 male fancy guppies and I cory catfish for 2 weeks now without any issues. I am doing water changes once a week. I planning to buy 2 more female fancy guppies today to add to this tank just to make males company. Will it it be OK.

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
i beleive that you are currently overstocked for a 5 gallon, the general rule is 1 inch of fish(adult size) to 1 gallon of water, the guppies are aout 2 inches, and the cory cat about 2.5 inches, so have 6.5 inches of fish in a 5 gallon tank, if those are the only fish you want in your tank, i would suggest moving up to at least a 10 gallon

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes the one inch applies to most fish under 4". I would return your cory as they like being in groups of at least 3 perferably 5 as they are sociable creatures. You could then buy one more guppy with a total of three male guppies in your tank. You don't want to many as to not overstock and they can sometimes be a bit mean to each other and they need space to escape each other. Male's stay around 1-1.5", it's the females that can get 2" the males have large tails that you don't need to count in inch per gallon rule and that's just a guideline.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes you are overstocked and even with what you have now, you will have to be doing more water changes to keep your tank clean.  Cories produce quite a bit of waste and you are overstocked already so you need to change water at least 50% every week and vacuum the gravel every time to keep the tank clean for the fish you have.  You could return one of the male guppies and get a female but you have no room for the fry that they WILL have and that is unfair to overcrowd the tank that way and stress your fish.

If you want to have 2 pairs of guppies and a cory (you should not keep one cory they like company of there own kind) you will need a bigger tank than a 10 gallon because guppies just have to be introduced to have many offspring.

Rose

rajs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the information. It deinitely helps a new comer to fish keeping like me. I am planning to buy a 20 gallon soon. That way I can have more guppies and get company for cory as well. One question though, is it good to buy the complete systems which come or buy tank, heater etc seperately. I see if i buy 20 gallon glass tank separetaly it works out cheaper, but it is not covered though with lighting etc, where as the complete systems have everything.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well you can usually buy a tank, hood, and stand combo or just tank and hood then buy everything separately as that way you can get better equipment though I might cost a little better but it will work better and longer. If you don't want to buy a stand remember that each gallon of water weighs 8lbs. so you must have a thing that will be able to hold all that weight. I would suggest buying all the equipment separate as you get to choose what you want that way and if you time it right you can buy stuff on sale. Let us know what you want to do and we can help you choosing the equipment.

rajs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have decided to buy 20 gallon tank and other stuff needed seperately for my setup, could any one suggest the best in each of the following based on long use, like product name and where i can find

20 gallon tank - which make manufacture is good, i am looking for both glass/acryclic
Filter - which manufacturers filter is good
Hood With lighting - which manufactires is good
what size heater and which one is good
anything which i may have missed.

Also if good and cheaper it is the best.

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
i would try big al's online, they have all the top brands, and they're prices are reasonable too, they'll have everything you need too including all the decorations

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom