Can I grow Java Moss in a jar

BlueberrytheBetta

Can I grow Java moss in a jar of non declorineated water
Could I do it using tap water
I don't have any declorinator

JustAFishServant

Yes of course! In fact, many folks grow their java or other aquatic mosses similarly as keeping it in a windowsill jar provides near constant light and nutrients. I've done it before and it works great :)

Flyfisha

Hi BlueberrytheBetta ,
Yes you definitely can.
Ether with just 10 mm of water and a lid keeping the jar humid or with it full of water.

Are you familiar with the small scape?
She posted this just recently, and it’s appropriate for your question.She mentions water changes as not needing to be on a routine etc.

image.jpgJava moss straight out of the aquarium into a jar.

PeterFishKeepin

Yes its fine, a cup full of tank water, water left from water changes, or even plan tap water will work but its better to be declorinated with good bacterias and food sources for the java moss.

BlueberrytheBetta

Could I use boiled water
I'm thinking of turning my old 2 gallon into a tank for just plants what hardscape would be good in there

Any ideas on rocks and wood
Would I be able to use potting soil and sticks fron my yard

JuiceKong

I'm thinking of turning my old 2 gallon into a tank for just plants what hardscape would be good in there

Any ideas on rocks and wood
Would I be able to use potting soil and sticks fron my yard
Well whatever hardscape you use won't affect the plants, so whatever you want.
There are lots of options. River stones, seiryu stone, ohko stone, lava rock, etc. Spider wood, mopani wood, random driftwood, etc.
I wouldn't do that, most potting soil has fertilizers and other additives plus if it was not capped with sand it would be a mess. And only use sticks you find outside if they are completely dried out, and then you should clean them in hot water.

BlueberrytheBetta

So I can use dry sticks and potting soil is a no go, could I use sand from my back yard
Could I use boiled and cooled water to fill it

JuiceKong

So I can use dry sticks and potting soil is a no go, could I use sand from my back yard
Could I use boiled and cooled water to fill it
That depends on what the sand is being exposed to, you would need to clean it, and likely dose root tabs. Yes I guess you could boil the water to dechlorinate it.

BlueberrytheBetta

We don't use pesticides on the sand would that be ok

JuiceKong

It will be fine then, especially for just a plant tank. Clean the sand thoroughly though.

BlueberrytheBetta

Ok i will thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
fengshui
Replies
Views