Can I grow Alternanthera Reineckii Mini with low light

airdog44

I have an 11 Watt Nicrew light on my 10 gallon planted and was wondering if I could grow Alternanthera Reineckii Mini with it. I have Seachem Root tabs, and Nilocg Thrive liquid fertilizer. The light is on for 8 hours a day. Thanks for the help!

Fishstery

It's possible. AR would prefer co2 injection over higher light truthfully. In your setup I would imagine there will be a good inital melt off while it acclimates to a low tech environment. It may take longer to take to the tank without co2 injection assuming that it was grown emersed or TC. Under lower light, AR loses its bright magenta leaves and takes on a more olive-brown-burgundy color. You may also observe the leaves growing crumpled from low co2, and it will be less compact and leggy.

I haven't tried it myself but I've seen plenty low tech tanks growing it successfully, however I'm not sure under your particular lighting if it will work. I don't really think it's a question on whether it will grow or not, just will it have proper growth form.

Another important note that I was unaware of until just a few months ago: amano shrimp absolutely LOVE AR. If you have amano shrimp don't even try it, they will munch it down to nothing. For whatever reason they have a bloodthirst for AR cultivars, especially mini.

PlantedCommunityTank132

i personally have no idea but I found this on the internet

Like other stem plants, it requires medium to high light with the addition of CO2 for optimum growth. It can be grown emersed or submerged and reaches up to 8 inches tall. Propagating AR Mini is like any other stem plant, simply cut the stem and replant

airdog44

It's possible. AR would prefer co2 injection over higher light truthfully. In your setup I would imagine there will be a good inital melt off while it acclimates to a low tech environment. It may take longer to take to the tank without co2 injection assuming that it was grown emersed or TC. Under lower light, AR loses its bright magenta leaves and takes on a more olive-brown-burgundy color. You may also observe the leaves growing crumpled from low co2, and it will be less compact and leggy.

I haven't tried it myself but I've seen plenty low tech tanks growing it successfully, however I'm not sure under your particular lighting if it will work. I don't really think it's a question on whether it will grow or not, just will it have proper growth form.
I just need a short foreground plant to fill up some space, and red is a nice contrast. But at the same time I don’t want to waste money on something that’s gonna die. Any idea for other foreground/mid ground plants?
i personally have no idea but I found this on the internet

Like other stem plants, it requires medium to high light with the addition of CO2 for optimum growth. It can be grown emersed or submerged and reaches up to 8 inches tall. Propagating AR Mini is like any other stem plant, simply cut the stem and replant
I know it needs higher light, I was just wondering if it was possible. Thanks for the response!

Fishstery

I just need a short foreground plant to fill up some space, and red is a nice contrast. But at the same time I don’t want to waste money on something that’s gonna die. Any idea for other foreground/mid ground plants?

I know it needs higher light, I was just wondering if it was possible. Thanks for the response!
Staurogyne repens, pearlweed, marselia species. Some others that come to mind, lobelia cardinalis 'dwarf'....dwarf sag, smaller crypt varieties maybe. An easy contrast to the typical light green: bucephalandra. Aquariumplantsfactory and others have good deals where you can buy it grown on a piece of slate, all you do is drop it in place and you have a nice patch of buce. From my personal experience they are really nice from APF and are a good value because of how many individual plants you get for the price. Another way to get a pop of color would be rather expensive however, but anubias nana petite 'snow white' has always caught my eye although I have never had a scape yet where I felt it had a place.

airdog44

Staurogyne repens, pearlweed, marselia species. Some others that come to mind, lobelia cardinalis 'dwarf'....dwarf sag, smaller crypt varieties maybe. An easy contrast to the typical light green: bucephalandra. Aquariumplantsfactory and others have good deals where you can buy it grown on a piece of slate, all you do is drop it in place and you have a nice patch of buce. From my personal experience they are really nice from APF and are a good value because of how many individual plants you get for the price. Another way to get a pop of color would be rather expensive however, but anubias nana petite 'snow white' has always caught my eye although I have never had a scape yet where I felt it had a place.
I was researching the buce plants and they look perfect! What are the reddest varieties? There's so many its kind of overwhelming :)

Fishstery

I was researching the buce plants and they look perfect! What are the reddest varieties? There's so many its kind of overwhelming :)
Most buce have a different color form emersed vs submerged so it can be hard to answer that question. Plenty of buce has red stems and undersides of leaves but only emersed. There's not really any "red" buce sumberged with the exception of brownie ghost 2011/2012 but those puppies are extremely rare and about $100 plus a piece. However, any strain of brownie ghost will contrast green nicely, as the leaves are a dark green with a tinge of blue or purple. Kedagang mini rainbow is another favorite which grew purple in my high tech setup. With buce you can get varying shades of green with different color undertones, so just read the descriptions and pick one that you like. APF is pretty good with giving accurate descriptions of how it will grow emersed vs submerged.

Edit: I had an extra thought sitting here at work. Buce may not be the best option for you depending on tank temperature. Buce IME does way better in unheated, room temp tanks than heated ones. That's not to say it can't flourish in tanks 78-80F, but in the 68-75F range they have done the best for me. I've stopped keeping buce in my betta tanks for the heat reason. Just an FYI :)

airdog44

Most buce have a different color form emersed vs submerged so it can be hard to answer that question. Plenty of buce has red stems and undersides of leaves but only emersed. There's not really any "red" buce sumberged with the exception of brownie ghost 2011/2012 but those puppies are extremely rare and about $100 plus a piece. However, any strain of brownie ghost will contrast green nicely, as the leaves are a dark green with a tinge of blue or purple. Kedagang mini rainbow is another favorite which grew purple in my high tech setup. With buce you can get varying shades of green with different color undertones, so just read the descriptions and pick one that you like. APF is pretty good with giving accurate descriptions of how it will grow emersed vs submerged.

Edit: I had an extra thought sitting here at work. Buce may not be the best option for you depending on tank temperature. Buce IME does way better in unheated, room temp tanks than heated ones. That's not to say it can't flourish in tanks 78-80F, but in the 68-75F range they have done the best for me. I've stopped keeping buce in my betta tanks for the heat reason. Just an FYI :)
Thanks so much! I can lower the temp. it’s not a big deal :) I saw Brownie Ghost on APF for a very affordable price, it’s on sale right now. (A lot of their plants are if you wanna go check it out). So I think I’ll go with that! Thanks so much for your help!

Fishstery

Thanks so much! I can lower the temp. it’s not a big deal :) I saw Brownie Ghost on APF for a very affordable price, it’s on sale right now. (A lot of their plants are if you wanna go check it out). So I think I’ll go with that! Thanks so much for your help!
No problem :) just a little secret.....at APF their plants are ALWAYS on sale and always buy 2 get 1 free on most plants. I love them. Shipping is super fast as well, they have been my new plant supplier for the last year because of how awesome they are.

airdog44

No problem :) just a little secret.....at APF their plants are ALWAYS on sale and always buy 2 get 1 free on most plants. I love them. Shipping is super fast as well, they have been my new plant supplier for the last year because of how awesome they are.
Yea they sound amazing!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
  • Question
  • GusMcGrath202020
  • Lighting
Replies