Can I give my White Cloud Mountain minnows tropical fish flakes?

Hydrosolic

Can I give my White Cloud Mountain minnows tropical fish flakes? They are cold water fish, I just couldn’t find cold water fish flakes anywhere in my LFS, all I can find are tropical flakes and pellets and flakes for goldfish.

I currently feed them tropical flakes 5 times a week and freeze dried bloodworms 2 times a week,

And also is there any good brands of fish food you recommend?

There were only bad ones at my LFS that contain fish meal, potato meal, wheat flour and soy flour which is not the best, but got them anyways because I need to feed my fish.

Thanks!

jamie carmichael

Try looking online whilst you feed them those flakes. I'm no expert but it probably isn't the best for them although no flakes are they are full of nutrients but that is for another discussion lol. I know how you feel English LFS are really lousy and barely contain anything.
Hope I helped

david1978

Tropical flakes are fine. I think I have hikira color enhancer flakes.

-Sofia-

I think you could, the ingredients are the same! (I think)

Hydrosolic

Try looking online whilst you feed them those flakes. I'm no expert but it probably isn't the best for them although no flakes are they are full of nutrients but that is for another discussion lol. I know how you feel English LFS are really lousy and barely contain anything.
Hope I helped
Yeah I agree xD, it’s really hard to find high quality fish products here and the nitrates in tap water are 40ppm,
Thanks anyways!

Tropical flakes are fine. I think I have hikira color enhancer flakes.
Do pellets works? Micro pellets by hakari

Adriana N

Pellets work! I find my fish prefer pellets, since they sink. It gives everyone an opportunity to eat, like the small or shy ones.,

Seasoldier

Hi, I have fish similar in size to White Clouds (Daisy's Rice fish & Glowlight Danios) & use JBL Novo Bea as a staple flake diet, they go nuts for it. I also feed frozen blood worm, brine shrimp & cyclops with JBL Atvitol (multi-vits) added once a week. I've fed them like this since beginning of last November & they've all grown & look really healthy. I also use JBL Novo Color for my bigger fish & they're all doing well.

Hydrosolic

Hi, I have fish similar in size to White Clouds (Daisy's Rice fish & Glowlight Danios) & use JBL Novo Bea as a staple flake diet, they go nuts for it. I also feed frozen blood worm, brine shrimp & cyclops with JBL Atvitol (multi-vits) added once a week. I've fed them like this since beginning of last November & they've all grown & look really healthy. I also use JBL Novo Color for my bigger fish & they're all doing well.
I have many JBL products and have really liked them but never knew they made fish food,
I use JBL weekly and daily fertilizer and JBL substrate. Will the novo Bea be okay for the white clouds though since they are not tropical fish?

Seasoldier

I have many JBL products and have really liked them but never knew they made fish food,
I use JBL weekly and daily fertilizer and JBL substrate. Will the novo Bea be okay for the white clouds though since they are not tropical fish?

I'm sure it will be fine for white clouds as part of a varied diet as you've already said you also feed blood worms as well. Don't know if you know but frozen stuff is pretty light on vitamins & nutrients, that's why I add the Atvitol.

Hydrosolic

I'm sure it will be fine for white clouds as part of a varied diet as you've already said you also feed blood worms as well. Don't know if you know but frozen stuff is pretty light on vitamins & nutrients, that's why I add the Atvitol.
thanks a lot! Do I just drop a drop of Atvitol on bloodworms? or do I drop it in the aquarium during feeding time?

Seasoldier

thanks a lot! Do I just drop a drop of Atvitol on bloodworms? or do I drop it in the aquarium during feeding time?
You can dose your water with it but it takes a lot if you have a big tank, I just drop a few drops on the frozen food once it's defrosted & the fish consume it directly.

Mary765

Hope I helped

What lfs do you go to? There are at least 3 good maidenhead aquatics near me (and one which is outstanding, so that is my go-to because they exceed all my expectations for a chain fish store)

jamie carmichael

I go to the one in syon park which isn't really that local around 8 miles away but that is the only decent shop around my area. I have only recently found out about it though I have no idea how I didn't know before used to order everything online apart from fish which I used to get at Pets at home. Maidenhead aquatics are quite good though and even better for me as they stock marine fish which for some reason is quite rare in London.

Hydrosolic

What lfs do you go to? There are at least 3 good maidenhead aquatics near me (and one which is outstanding, so that is my go-to because they exceed all my expectations for a chain fish store)
Yes I do go to maidenhead aquatics in (Wrexham wales boarder) the shop is great! and quality fish and supplies but not seem to have any good fish foods and they keep running out of stock, the people there are very knowledgeable and helpful, which one is the outstanding one that you go to?

jamie carmichael

Or at least my area

Hydrosolic

I go to the one in syon park which isn't really that local around 8 miles away but that is the only decent shop around my area. I have only recently found out about it though I have no idea how I didn't know before used to order everything online apart from fish which I used to get at Pets at home. Maidenhead aquatics are quite good though and even better for me as they stock marine fish which for some reason is quite rare in London.
Yes they do stock marine fish in most maidenhead aquatics, my local maidenhead aquatic is quite small they have a wide range of fish from tropical to coldwater to huge koi pond fish to marine fish.

jamie carmichael

Lol ended up from being about flakes to Maidenhead aquatics

Have you heard about the Aquatic design centre? They have a huge stock of fish!

Hydrosolic

no, I don't think its near us, would you recommend it? I go down to London once in a while so I might go there to see what's up

Wow! I just googled it, the store looks amazing!

Mary765

Yes I do go to maidenhead aquatics in (Wrexham wales boarder) the shop is great! and quality fish and supplies but not seem to have any good fish foods and they keep running out of stock, the people there are very knowledgeable and helpful, which one is the outstanding one that you go to?

I go to one 15 minutes away from me in Brokunhurst (Surrey, South East) They have a huge variety of fish in there (to give you an idea; 15+ guppy types, 7+ tetra types, 30+ marine species to name a few, and about 100 fish and invertibre species in stock total). Furthermore, the staff there are super helpful and far more knowledgeable than any other staff I have spoken to, and all seem to either have large tanks themselves or have studied all aspects of fish keeping thoroughly. So yeah, I love it there

Oh yeah, and I've never seen a sick or otherwise upset fish there!

jamie carmichael

Oh nice you're really lucky seems like they have a ton of fish!

Hydrosolic

I go to one 15 minutes away from me in Brokunhurst (Surrey, South East) They have a huge variety of fish in there (to give you an idea; 15+ guppy types, 7+ tetra types, 30+ marine species to name a few, and about 100 fish and invertibre species in stock total). Furthermore, the staff there are super helpful and far more knowledgeable than any other staff I have spoken to, and all seem to either have large tanks themselves or have studied all aspects of fish keeping thoroughly. So yeah, I love it there

Oh yeah, and I've never seen a sick or otherwise upset fish there!
seems pretty nice! How did we get from flakes to maidenhead to fish stores? xD
Thanks for all the advice on pet stores and help anyways!

Mary765

seems pretty nice! How did we get from flakes to maidenhead to fish stores? xD
Thanks for all the advice on pet stores and help anyways!

I... I don't know sorry

Hydrosolic

I... I don't know sorry
why are you sorry? Its nice to know new good aquarium stores!

Mary765

why are you sorry? Its nice to know new good aquarium stores!

I kinda changed the topic, You shouldn't really do that

Hydrosolic

I kinda changed the topic, You shouldn't really do that
honestly I like to know new aquarium stores and its nice talking about it, don't worry its fine!

Seasoldier

Hydrosolic if you're looking for a really good lfs not a million miles from you have a look at The Abyss in Stockport, I get most of my stuff from there & they have an amazing selection of fish & aquarium kit, they also have an on-line shop. Having said that if it's just foods you're after I just get mine from Ebay & never had any issues getting what I need.

Hydrosolic

Hydrosolic if you're looking for a really good lfs not a million miles from you have a look at The Abyss in Stockport, I get most of my stuff from there & they have an amazing selection of fish & aquarium kit, they also have an on-line shop. Having said that if it's just foods you're after I just get mine from Ebay & never had any issues getting what I need.
Thanks! the store looks huge and a wide range of products and fish, 288 reviews! with 4.6 stars, amazing! Its not too far away either, about 40 minutes, thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56

Did You Know...

To add a link to a post, just copy the URL from the address bar of your web browser and then paste it into your post. The forum will automatically turn it into a clickable link for you.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom