Can I get some Advise? Help

1. SmilingFish Initiate Member

First off I'm fairly new to the fish world and so far I really enjoy it. My friend gave me an eclipse 40 gallon and I've recently added a 20 Gallon. These are my readings in the 20 gal...

Nitrite 0-20
    NItrite 0-.5
    75 water softness
    Alk 120-180
    PH 8.4

At first the readings seemed fine to be from what information I collected on the net but it seems the more I read the more confused I get. I have the following fish in the 20 gallon...

Baby Arowana
    Cory Cat
    Red Tailed Shark
    Black Ghost Knife

There is plenty of room for all of them and they all seem healthy and in motion, especially the red tailed shark which is entertaining to watch non-aggressively chasing away the Cory. The Arowana is elegantly swimming the top and the ghost usually hides behind the filter but at night is flying around from left to right.

Can I get some starter advise on my tank conditions? what should I watch out for what do recommend? I need to lower my PH levels but how do I do so in a 20 Gallon without giving the fish "PH shock" any bit of information would help thank you!

M:;f

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome to fishlore :D

I don't want to scare you away, but your 20G is severly overstocked!! An arowana needs atleast 250-300 Gallons even if it is a baby.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Smilingfish!

I'm not going to be able to offer you any better news than platy ben.

Your arowana isn't your only issue in your 20g tank. Your Red tailed shark should also only be kept in a 55g or larger. Your black-ghost knife will get anywhere from 16-20", so he's not okay in that tank either.

Is it possible you could return the arowana, red-tailed shark and black ghost knife? Your cory is fine, but they really like to be kept in schools, so he'd love 4 or 5 more swimming buddies to pal around with.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore. I'm sorry we don't have better news for you. :(