Can I Get Sick From Aquarium Inhabitants?

1. MyFISHY Initiate Member

Hi Fishlore! I'm really scared that I may develop some illnesses or something so here's what happened. So for my birthday my friend bought me some Khuli Loaches there's 3 of them and I placed the bag onto my main tank before releasing them. When I carefully checked I've noticed that one of the Khuli loaches have ich so I quickly removed the bag from the main tank and found my hospital tank to place them in. The following day my guppies and tetras started showing symptoms of ich. So I went to the pet shop to grab a heater (Singapore is a tropical country which the temperature are mostly at 27 degrees Celsius to 29 in my fish tank) so that I could increase the temperature to 32 to kill off the ich. The weather was wet that day and I may or may not have gotten wet. So after buying the heater I rushed off to school as I was getting late for my appointment with my teacher pushing the installment of the heater later at night. On the way home from school I may have cut a tiny portion of my skin. So when I went to install the heater with an exposed wound as I forgot I had one until I felt a slight burning sensation when I took my hand out. The following morning I catched a fever which I think evolved from my running nose the previous day. However I was wondering, can I get sick from inhabitants from tank water such as bacteria or ich from the fishes? The last time I water changed the tank was just two days before I installed heater and the ammonia readings and nitrate and nitrite and pH were normal. IS SINGAPORE WATER CLEAN???? Please help me thank I'm really getting scared!

Tank: 16 Litres, Planted
    Fishes: 6 Guppies 2 Neon Tetra 2 Black Skirt Tetra 3 Khuli Loaches

2. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

I do not think there are a lot of diseases that transfer from fish to humans. BUT you should see your doctor if you are concerned as I am not a doctor and thus cannot give you medical advice.

3. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Its unlikely but possible, see fish handlers disease as an example. Water teams with life and that includes weird bacteria. If it tets worse id see a dr for an antibiotic.
    HOWEVER
    cuts often burn when introduced to new water, so this is by no means a diagnosis and you cant get ich as far as i know.

4. azbev Member Member

5. Aster Well Known Member Member

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/DiseasesTransmittedToHumans.htm

The most likely disease to get would be tuberculosis. However, it doesn't sound like the symptoms you've described. I think you're safe :)

Also, I'd like to mention that your tank is poorly stocked as well as overstocked massively. 16 liters calculates to about 4 gallons, which none of your fish are suitable for. Guppies require at least 5 gallons (and with 6 of them you'd need at least 10 gallons), neon tetras and black skirt tetras need schools of at least 6 and at least 10 gallons, and kuhli loaches need at least 20 gallons.

EDIT: ninja'd

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You can't get ich however just keep an eye on the wound and look for signs of infection, Redness, increasing swelling, a red streak going up the arm from the wound., abnormal discharge. I am constantly getting little cuts and scratches on my hands, because I have always had critters, and have had fish on and off for 61 years. I don't worry about it . It can happen but I have never had a problem . If you see signs of infection then go see the DR. otherwise don't worry about it. Alison