Can I Get Rid Of These?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicole B, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

Still not cycled yet.
    Would it be ok to throw away the fake plants that have diatoms on them and are falling apart a bit or will that ruin the BB?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Your fake plants and their diatoms aren't affecting your aquarium at all. go ahead and throw them away. most bacteria is in the filter and gravel. probably 80%

3. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeah fake plants are mostly havens for algae really in the long run, although any plants provide most water bourne creatures "shelter" and safety. What's most important to/for the BB is the filter, then probably your substrate. Although if you do NOT have a substrate and a bare glass tank bottom, then keep the fake plants so then the BB can have the additonal property to propagate on more.

4. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

We have rocks. That have diatoms on also. Sigh :( lol will most likely buy new fake plants as these were cheap Walmart ones that are cracking a bit in spots.

5. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Rocks are always good. : ) I always avoid the "sharp" edged ones though...

6. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

7. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Scared! Lol.
    Where do you start with plants? What kind? What all do you need to keep them alive?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

I’m just starting with inside plants. I know I have a little banana plant. It’s got long roots so if the corys would let it sit in one place it would be happy! Go to the aquarium forum and scroll down to plants. Wonderful info on beginner plants. Oh! I have dwarf baby tears in a little pot and something that feels like java fern but I’m not sure. Hubby says it has burgundy spots. Do check out the forums. I listen to them all the time! Look just below their fish logo.

9. Dave125g

Get a plant light. And if you go with all root feeders all your gonna need is root tabs. That's really it.

10. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

Start with anubias. They are very easy low light plants. You can tie them to a rock or driftwood with a piece of black cotton thread. With anubias you don't want to bury the rhizome (the green base of the plant that the leaves are attached to) or it will rot and die. So that's why people usually tie them to a rock or something. They are very hardy plants.

11. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Not sure what kind of plants petco carries but will look. They are the only place that has plants where I live.

12. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I am a huge fan of wetplants.com.

IME 1/2 the price of the box stores and substantially bigger plants.

13. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Go to BucePlant! They were all snail free, too.

14. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Repeat after me, live plants, live plants, live plants :)

Any more your best bet is on line. I have nothing but good things to say about this seller  

Live plants can be as simple as dropping them into the water to a costly and daily endeavor. It is all up to you :)

15. Dave125g

Trinsfish.com has a good selection of plants.

16. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

That is one of my concerns!! Getting snails on them.

17. Dave125g

Petco is notorious for having pest snails on there plants. Petsmart has the plants in the tubes that are guaranteed snail free.

18. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Yeah, mine were perfect and healthy.

19. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

You can do a salt dip on new plants to get rid of snails. Mix 1 cup aquarium salt in 1 gallon of dechlorinated water. Dip your new plant for 20 seconds. Then rinse the plant in dechlorinated water.

I have heard that this works, and I just tried it recently. So far no snails!! I used to have some pond snails in my tank but they disappeared. Maybe because I'm not over feeding?? I have harlequin raspboras and I feed them New Life Spectrum small fish formula 0.5 mm sinking pellets. I feed a few tiny sprinkles and they gobble them up. Not much falls to the gravel with this food.

20. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

You can also use a mild bleach solution. Just dunk the plant in for 10 seconds, rinse, and you’ re good.

I quit doing that (got lazy) and ended up with both pond and ramshorns.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice