Can I get one more species in my 40g breeder?

derekk1127

Hello!

I am currently finalizing the stock in my 40G Breeder. The Tank is heavily planted with an aquaclear 70 and a tetra whisper IQ 45 filter. Can i add more fish or am I fully stocked? If not fully stocked can I add one more species or should I focus on building up the shoals? Right now the water parameters are great and everyone gets along. Current stock is:

6 Glofish Zebra Danios
5 Cardinal Tetras
4 Albino Corys
1 Betta (Peaceful and content)
3 Garra Spilota (peaceful algae eater with an adult size of about 3 inches)
5 Amano shrimp

Thank you for your input!

Islandvic

In my opinion, you could easily add a few more albino corydoras, tetras, and shrimp.

I would increase the corys first, since they like to shoal in a group.

I also run Aquaclear filters. Consider buying a 2nd foam sponge block and stack it on top of the included one.

It will provide extra mechanical and biological filtration.

Do you have a pre-filter on the intake tubes to keep the shrimp and plant leaves out?

Upvote 0

derekk1127

In my opinion, you could easily add a few more albino corydoras, tetras, and shrimp.

I would increase the corys first, since they like to shoal in a group.

I also run Aquaclear filters. Consider buying a 2nd foam sponge block and stack it on top of the included one.

It will provide extra mechanical and biological filtration.

Do you have a pre-filter on the intake tubes to keep the shrimp and plant leaves out?

I like the Aquaclear way better than the Tetra filter. Yes I have a guard on both filters that keeps the shrimp and leaves out. My betta is even able to swim right by it without any problems. A second sponge does seem like a good idea now that you mention it. My LFS sold me extra large shrimp so i have no worries about anything in my tank eating them or them sneaking in the filter.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

You probably could add one more species, but I wouldn't. As Islandvic suggested, I'd recommend adding to your existing groups instead.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank Stocking a 40g breeder.
Replies
Views
Candace
Replies
Views
sailesh10115
  • Question
Replies