Can I Get Input On Future Stock?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by MissNoodle, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +797
    Okay so doing further searching to find a suitable fish that i like and would mix well... i think i found my final option.

Im getting a 46gal this month.

Stock plans:
    6 kuhli/java loaches
    6 false julii corydoras
    1 dwarf gourami
    3 porthole catfish
    8-10 delicate blue eye rainbowfish or 6 Ivantsoff's blue eyes (more money per fish so cant buy as many)

Is this too much? Running it on a HOB hacked filter and a DIY sponge filter, planted tank. Weekly water changes.

Temperatures set at 78-80 depending on ambient room temps (even with the heater it fluctuates on hotter days as its summer. Lowest its been has been 78 though) since my understanding is that delicate blue eyes prefer warmer temps of 77-86, some sources say it can be even warmer, but 77 seems to be the lowest range.

My pH sits at 7.4-7.6. May change as new tank will have pure sand rather than the cichlid sand mix.

Which is better choice, ivantsoff or delicates? I can get more delicates due to cheaper pices and both are really pretty little fish...

I already have the loaches, cories (3, but upping it), and the gourami.
    If i have to choose between the rainbows and the porthole cats, i will choose the cats lol

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    If I was considering this stock I personally feel the bottom dwellers would be to busy. I’d personally strike the corys as they like a little cooler waters and I’m not real keen on the khulis as they hide all the time. And I’d go for a female powder blue gourami and as many of the dwarf rainbows as you could.

3. OP
    OP
    MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +797
    I already own the loaches, cories, and the male dwarf gourami. So not able to nix them and my cory species is good with the water temp

4. SaltyPhone

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yea the corys will do ok at that temp so let’s see what else. So maybe drop the porthole cats and add a couple more rainbows. Keep an eye on that gourami though males can get a tad aggressive.

5. OP
    OP
    MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +797
    Yeah hes already a turd lol he likes the cories and the loaches, even thinks hes one of them. But he had to be separated from my other tank because he is mortal enemies with my molly and he doesnt like the black skirt tetras either lol

Im more attached to the porthole cats if i had to choose to get the cats or the rainbows tbh. Plus id be better able to house them with butthead gourami who likes cats and not others... theyd be bigger than him so he wouldn't push them around should he for some reason decides he doesnt like other cats besides the cories lol

Granted i only have 3 cories right now but with the upgrade i wanted to bring them up to 5 or 6 since theyre better in groups.

Im happy with a busy tank bottom because my gourami makes having a busier top difficult, and im reading the portholes tend to be more apt to go to the middle to swim. My loaches are always out too so thats nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  6. SaltyPhone

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    Lol great pic! Can’t wait to see what you decide and look forward to updates.

7. OP
    OP
    MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +797
    Whatever the decision is, ill be sure to update i just dont want to OVER stock. Im okay with heavy stocking but i just dont know if adding the rainbows would push my luck on stocking.

Other options could be endlers or perhaps some small rasbora species, my gourami would ignore them most likely (hes been in with molly fry and was just fine with them)

8. SaltyPhone

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    I dig the rainbows and they should do alright and I don’t think that’s a super heavy stock for a 46.

9. OP
    OP
    MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +797
    Thanks for the help i think, unless others chime in, ill go with the stock listed above

Become a Fishlore Member