can i get cichlids for my community tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by tom5678, Apr 7, 2010.

1. tom5678

tom5678Valued MemberMember

hi, i was woundering if it would be fine to get any types of cichlid for my 50 gallon community fishtank.
    at the moment i have platies, swordtails, neons and gouramis.
    i was looking at the blue ram ones but there were lots of others too.
    i know that some types of cichlid can grow very large and some can eat smaller fish.
    so i was woundering if there were any peaceful and smaller ones that would be suitable.
    thanks to anyone who helps :)

2. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Most cichlids are a definite no go in a community type setting. Dwarf cichlids would be your only real option. German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams and Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids are some options for you. I notice your aquarium info states you had an ICH problem? Make sure your tank is completely over the ICH first then wait a few weeks to allow everything to stabilize before adding anything. Also make sure that you QT new additions so you don't have to deal with ICH again or something else. Also your aquarium info states that you're not sure about your parameters. You'll want to make sure your tank is fully cycled before you add anything as well. If you don't already have a good liquid test kit I would recommend using your money on getting that before getting fish.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    tom5678

the ich was probably about 2 months ago now and everything is fine. so i think that they are all over it.
    i was looking at 2 types of ram cichlids, the blue ones and i think it was the bolivian ones too. are they both fine?

4. Prince Powder

All I do know is that the dwarfs I mentioned tend to make good community fish. I will let someone with more experience with these specific fish answer whether or not they would work in your particular set up. :)

5. OP
    OP
    tom5678

ok thanks for help though =]

anyone who knows more please post here!!
    thanks =]

6. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

I was debating between German blue rams and Bolivian rams for quite some time actually then I ended up coming home with Kribensis cichlids instead. The main reasoning I wanted the Bolivians was they looked so pretty on the google pictures. Well I started looking for them and not many places carried them. Then I found out they usually aren't that color they're more silver than pretty and colorful. So if that's why you were wanting the bolivian I'd just go with the GBR. I'm not sure how any of even these dwarf cichlids would do in a tank with neons.

And also personally I don't think you have the space for any of these. You have quite a bit of fish in there already. Instead of going for something that's going to get larger than you really have space for have you thought about maybe some more red tetra friends for you single red tetra. Or maybe some other type of tetra.

I'm actually not sure how much room you have at all since you mentioned you have swords as well now. From your aquarium info I see you have
    3 platy
    2 gourami
    10 neon tetras
    1 red tetra
    1 pleco

What are the current numbers?

7. Prince Powder

As far as coloration goes you can't tell much from what you see in the stores. For one thing some fish will not acheive their full coloring until they mature. Coloration can change when they are in breeding mode from their regular every day colors and water quality and stress can all have an affect on coloration. One of my bettas was a very teal green when I first got him. From the cup to the original bowl I had him in his color remained very green. Once he was put into a heated tank with more space his color deepened to a much more blue tint which I now know to be his true coloring. I don't have bolivian rams, but I do know that the coloration you see in juveniles at fish stores is not necessarily the color you will have with an adult fish in proper living conditions.

Space is the main reason I wanted to allow for a more experienced fish keeper. your tank might be fully stocked already. :)

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

It takes two years for Bolivian rams to grow into their full color. Whey they get there, they are gorgeous. The ones you saw were probably juveniles. I've watched my two girls grow from silver juveniles into beautiful bolivian rams. For me, it was worth it. I enjoyed watching them and they're not finished growing into their full color yet.

9. OP
    OP
    tom5678

more than that now =P

8 platy
    2 gourami
    less neons- 5ish now the ich killed the red tetra and some of the neons =[
    1 pleco
    2 new upside down catfish

i will update all of my info now.

they have both bolivian and blue rams in the pet store :p
    i would have asked the people there but they are all really young (like 18 - 25) and probably know less about the fish than i do :eek:.
    so if they are ok for my tank then i will get some.
    but they are like £5 each and i only got the upside down catfish a few days ago
    so i am only allowed 2 =[ should i get one of each or 2 of the same kind?

sorry this was a response to the post from e-watson

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  10. Prince Powder

Also make sure you add what kind of Pleco. There are very big differences in size from one species to the next. Some can get to be over 18 inches long where as others will max out at about 6.

11. OP
    OP
    tom5678

sorry it is a brisle nose pleco and i think that it is at full size now, about 10cm i think

12. treve

treveValued MemberMember

You should look in to Apistogramma they like rams do very well in community aquariums.

13. OP
    OP
    tom5678

wow the ones on google images look really good.
    the only problem is finding them :p
    i know 100% that the pet shop has rams but i have never seen those fish =[

14. e_watson09

Okay, well you have the space for them but I would wait about a week or so until you know the upside down cats are doing fine and your tanks water conditions are fine.

15. OP
    OP
    tom5678

well it will be a while before i go back to the pet store :p maybe next weekend

16. e_watson09

Make sure you test your water before to make sure everything looks alright before you add. If you need help with the readings I'm sure you can find someone on here to help you out. :)

17. Prince Powder

Actually I would wait at least two weeks to allow your bacteria to adjust. I would also recommend quarantining new fish for at least two weeks. You don't want a new addition bringing disease into your main tank. And the QT time will allow for your bacteria in your main tank to really strengthen up.

18. OP
    OP
    tom5678

i dont have a quarantine tank =[
    i want to get one set up when i get my 15 gallon tank set up.
    i will put the shrimp from my 5 gallon into another tank and use the 5 gallon for quarantine.

19. OP
    OP
    tom5678

i will do a test tomorrow or some time soon then i will put the readings on this thread.
    then hopefully someone can tell me if it is all ok =]

20. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I think it is important that you quarantine Blue Rams if you do get them & also to make sure you keep a very good eye on the water quality. They are very susceptible to many diseases & especially fungus if the water is not absolutley pristine. Many people lose thier Blue Rams because the water quality is not up to scratch & because they don't quarantine & acclimate them properly.

If you want something easier to look after & introduce into the tank then you will be better off with the Bolivian Rams. Something I see no-one has mentioned you could have are Kribensis. They get to about 10cm & are very peacefull except when they breed. Very cool fish with beautiful colours. Also not as sensitive as the Blue Rams.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice