Can I Get A Cichlid Price Check?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am about to set up a new tank, and it will definitely be a cichlid tank. I LOVE color. So here are some fish that are not too far from me. But I know nothing about cichlids (well, something lol) or their prices. I need to start paying attention to prices what fish go far and what not. So any thoughts on these fish and their prices? They seem pretty fair to me, but I am ignorant in this area! Thanks!!!

African Cichlids (Aquarium Fish)

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am about to set up a new tank, and it will definitely be a cichlid tank. I LOVE color. So here are some fish that are not too far from me. But I know nothing about cichlids (well, something lol) or their prices. I need to start paying attention to prices what fish go far and what not. So any thoughts on these fish and their prices? They seem pretty fair to me, but I am ignorant in this area! Thanks!!!

African Cichlids (Aquarium Fish)
Here's a guy in Tucson you can compare those prices with:
Cichlid Lovers
The link you posted doesn't tell you that most Cichlids can't be sexed at that age/size so you may get male or female. Buying 10 will usually guarantee a mix though.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree, those are prices for small juvie unsexed fish.

Females usually have minimal or no color at all.

An all male African African Malawi tank has best color.

What size tank are you looking at ?

If you want Male peacocks with good color for cheap, PetSmart sells "Assorted African Peacocks" for $9-$10. They are usually 2" - 3.5", have color and can be sexed. You don't know what they are unless you compare them with pics you find online of know species.

Here are some peacocks from PetSmart I bought for $8 on sale about 2 months ago. This is the first week I brought them home and were in a 20g QT on our back covered deck.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've bought a total of 5 from PetSmart for $8. One week I bought 3, then 3 weeks later I got 2 more. My store gets there fish deliveries on Thursdays.

The first batch I bought, they had only been in dropped in the tanks for an hour when I picked them out.

The second batch I bought, I was able to get them when they were still being floated in their original bags to acclimate to the temp. So they never were introduced to PetSmart's tank water. I got to hand pick the best 2 from their shipment .

Pics of them a month later in the 55g....

20190805_102608.jpg
20190810_152720.jpg

20190810_152519.jpg

20190810_195043.jpg

20190805_102138.jpg

20190810_152637.jpg

Last edited:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, those are prices for small juvie unsexed fish.

Females usually have minimal or no color at all.

An all male African African Malawi tank has best color.

What size tank are you looking at ?

If you want Male peacocks with good color for cheap, PetSmart sells "Assorted African Peacocks" for $9-$10. They are usually 2" - 3.5", have color and can be sexed. You don't know what they are unless you compare them with pics you find online of know species.

Here are some peacocks from PetSmart I bought for $8 on sale about 2 months ago. This is the first week I brought them home and were in a 20g QT on our back covered deck.

Wow! You got some nice ones! I don't usually see that quality/ selection at the petsmart here! I must show up after you've already picked through them lol!

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Dang, very nice Vic! Yea, I don't think I've ever seen any that nice at my local Petsmart either! I was told the other day that their fish come in on Wednesday's, so my routine Wednesday stop on the way home might be Petsmart for awhile haha.

It's a 75 gallon tank I am setting up. When you buy one of those "assorted" peacocks, can they (or somone on this forum) tell you what species it is, so if its a male you can get some females and vice versa? I don't now much about Peacocks, and whether figuring out what exact species they are can be difficult.

Thanks!!!

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just be aware that the different varieties will interbreed.

A 75 is a suitable tank for them so you are on par so far for success right out of the gate. What substrate are you planning to use?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score

A 75 is a suitable tank for them so you are on par so far for success right out of the gate. What substrate are you planning to use?

Thanks aae0130! Had not really thought about it that much yet, but I was thinking very tiny pepples, like just a little bit bigger than sand. I would think you would get most of the benefits of sand, including a large surface area for lots of beneficial bacteria, but a little easier to clean than sand since you don't have to worry as much about the substrate getting sucked up with you clean it using one of those suction things.

What color substrate goes good with cichlids? I have a dark substrate in my other tank (black diamond blasting sand), so I was thinking a light one this time, and those fish in Vic's photos sure look good with his light substrate!

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the peacocks are 2.5 to inch there easy to sex, all the assorted peacocks that
DSCN5150.JPG
are from P/S are male. If your not going to breed them. who cares what type they are.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I usually find an online breeder/retailer, and look through their selection of Peacocks, to match their pictures to what I've seen in the store.

Live Fish Direct and Imperial Tropicals have a good selection of Peacocks on their websites that I've used to look at pictures, and compare to the in-store fish.

The employees tell me its random and hit or miss with the shipments they receive. Sometimes they get 6 fish total of only 2 species, or they may get a dozen or more covering 6 different types.

They've also mentioned that often their hardcore customers will wait around for their shipment to arrive and hand pick the fish once they are unboxed. That's how I got the idea to do that!!

These are what I suspect are being delivered as "Assorted Peacocks"......

Dragon Blood- Hybrid
O.B.- Aulonocara Hybrid
Sulfur Head- Aulonocara Maylandi
Albino Eureka Red- Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi
Sunshine- Aulonocara Stuartgranti "Maleri" or a Benga Sunshine- Aulonocara Baenschi
German Red
Rubescens
Red Shoulder-Aulonocara Hansbaenschi
Blue Regal- Aulnocara Stuartgranti Cobue

I could be wrong, and they could also be receiving species I didnt mention.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you Vic! I've been through that list, a lot of very colorful good looking fish there! What sand/rocks were those in your tank? Looks excellent. Since my current 55 gallon has black sand, which gives the tank a kind of dark, serious look, I was going to do light sand or very, very small light pebbles. Thanks!

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score

By the way, when you say that I should be aware that the different varieties will interbreed, can basically any of the cichlids interbreed with one another? Or only certain species can interbreed with others? When they do interbreed, does that typically ruin the typically bright colors for the next generation?

Thanks!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Quikrete Pool Filter Sand from Home Depot, $7 / 50lb bag

The rocks are a combination of limestone landscaping bricks I broke up with a sledgehammer I bought from Home Depot, plus some random limestone and flagstones I got from a local rock yard.

I need to go back and get some more. I didnt buy much at first, because I wasn't sure if I would like it. For being budget materials, it looks decent.

My kids and I painted the back glass with gloss black acrylic arts and crafts paint. It took a bunch if light coats.

It's a Top Fin 55g kit, with the standard LED's built into the black plastic lid. Nothing fancy!!

I think the Peacocks will interbreed if you buy a while bunch of unsexed juvies of different species. The off spring may or may not look good.

With an all-male tank, there are no females to fight over. So in theory, it reduces the chance of violence.

Tank also has the following male Mbuna...

2x Rusty
2x yellow lab
Maingano
Yellow tail acei
Yellow top Mbamba
Red top ndumbi
Green Mbweca
Lupingu Purple afra
Cobalt blue zebra
Ice blue zebra
Red Exasperatus
and probably a couple more I cant recall....

Also has 3 syndontis catfish species that allegedly wont grow past 6". They are my clean up crew.

If the Peacocks start to become incompatible with the Mbuba, I will re-home them to a new tank, or give them to my buddy who is getting a new 150g later this Fall.

I think if your tank already has black sand, maybe painting the back glass a bright electric blue color would look nice. Just a thought...

Last edited:

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The mbuna will definitely interbreed with each other. Right now I have fry produced by a White Tail Acei (mother) and a Green Afra (father). The babies are cute but have no retail or trade value.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom