Can I Feed Them Bloodworm?

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Zebrafish are omnivorous, primarily eating zooplankton, phytoplankton, insects and insect larvae, although they can eat a variety of other foods, such as worms and small crustaceans, if their preferred food sources are not readily available. In research, adult zebrafish are often fed with brine shrimp, or paramecia.
In nature, gouramis eat small insects and larvae from the surface of the water and graze on algae growth on plants. In captivity, they will eat flake food, freeze-dried food, frozen foods, and vegetable tablets. To maintain good health, supplement their diet with periodic feedings of live foods such as worms
Cory Catfish diet includes basic food types including fish flakes, pellets and bottom feeder tablets. Corys will spend hours on end making their way across the tank bottom poking around for food.
"Copy from Wikimedia."

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ideally, I think that any specific food should be fed sparingly. I virtually never use the same food twice in a row, much preferring to vary the diet as much as possible...both mine and that of my fish.

There is something to be said for using only a single nutritionally-complete commercial diet for animals since it guarantees balanced nutrition. However, if you could actually buy "Purina Human Chow" and be guaranteed that it provided complete balanced nutrition if used as your exclusive food...would you?

Didn't think so...won't do it to my fish or other critters either.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree. Bloodworms are very fatty so I feed my fish them once-twice a week, the rest of the week is either flakes or granules, I mix it up so the fish have variety.

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree. Bloodworms are very fatty so I feed my fish them once-twice a week, the rest of the week is either flakes or granules, I mix it up so the fish have variety.
Thanks! I was thinking once a week as that is when I feed my betta freeze dried bloodworms. I will start feeding him the Frozen kind so he will have that kind. I just felt kind of bad having to throw a lot away when I didn't use them after 2 days. I would have to melt a cube into a bowl and then there be a bunch left over because he only eats 2 to three. But when I have all the fish that I will have thenprobably barely any will be left. =•)

Ideally, I think that any specific food should be fed sparingly. I virtually never use the same food twice in a row, much preferring to vary the diet as much as possible...both mine and that of my fish.

There is something to be said for using only a single nutritionally-complete commercial diet for animals since it guarantees balanced nutrition. However, if you could actually buy "Purina Human Chow" and be guaranteed that it provided complete balanced nutrition if used as your exclusive food...would you?

Didn't think so...won't do it to my fish or other critters either.
I'm going to probably get some different types of frozen food. I have the flakes now and freeze dried bloodworms, plus Frozen ones in the freezer that I'm waiting to use till I get the fish for my 20 gallon. I was thinking maybe brine shrimp since I started out feeding my other betta fish brine shrimp because Petco didn't have any blood worms. If they have other types of frozen food maybe I'll get one or two more.=•)

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I cut or just shave off only what you need for that feeding that way you never have any waist. Or you can take a couple of cubes cut them up into smaller portions and freeze in a ice tray with some water in each one, i use the small cube silicone ones from Walmart, cheap and they work.

Bettafish1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I cut or just shave off only what you need for that feeding that way you never have any waist. Or you can take a couple of cubes cut them up into smaller portions and freeze in a ice tray with some water in each one, i use the small cube silicone ones from Walmart, cheap and they work.
Ok. I think I will wait until I have my other fish though. Because I will probably have my tank cycled in a month

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom