Can I feed outdoor larvae to my indoor fish?

Osse

It's a severe drought where I am, and a pond near me is drying up. The small pools left are teaming with invertebrates.

There are these .33" segmented worms floating on the surface, wriggling around. I've heard it's good to feed mosquito larvae to betta fish, and I can't help but think that mine would go crazy for these guys.

What I've read about feeding indoor fish mosquito larvae is that it's pretty safe. Does that hold true for other invertebrates?

Cinnabar

You could if you wanted to. It’s not about whether the worms are safe to eat, fish will eat just about anything. Personally though, I wouldn’t risk it. If it’s a pond on public property, there could be all sorts of nasty chemicals in there from runoff, parasites, bacteria, that kind of thing. Maybe you could bring some of the worms back and cultivate it? That’ll be a fun project, and your fishies get live treats. Assuming that they’re actually aquatic worms and not flying insect larvae...

Conclusion: Probably fine, personally wouldn’t risk it. Up for you to decide.

fishkeepinginaisa

WhatsUpGuys said:
You could if you wanted to. It’s not about whether the worms are safe to eat, fish will eat just about anything. Personally though, I wouldn’t risk it. If it’s a pond on public property, there could be all sorts of nasty chemicals in there from runoff, parasites, bacteria, that kind of thing. Maybe you could bring some of the worms back and cultivate it? That’ll be a fun project, and your fishies get live treats. Assuming that they’re actually aquatic worms and not flying insect larvae...

Conclusion: Probably fine, personally wouldn’t risk it. Up for you to decide.
I second WhatsUpGuys conclusion. Probably fine, but wouldn't risk it.

Top Bottom