Can I Feed Otos With Algae On The Glass?

Discussion in 'Otocinclus' started by zjh828266, Dec 26, 2012.

1. z

zjh828266 Valued Member Member

I have an empty fishtank in my yard and there is a lot of algae in there on the glass. Can I take it off with a ruler or something and put it in my another tank with Oto? And BTW do Oto eat brown algae on Anubius Plant?

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Yes the otos may eat the algae from your yard tank... just be sure no chemecals were ever used near it. Maybe todd a few LARGE river stones in it so you can just pull out a rock weekly :) as for the brown algae mine ate away at the stuff on my plants before I got everything in balance again :)

3. OP
    OP
    z

do they have to live in a group of 3 or more? Can they live alone or in group of 2?

4. monkeypie102

They are schooler best in groups of 6+

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

You should really keep them in large groups. I don't think 2 will cut it.

Here is a video of Otocinculus in the wild be caught. They are found in massive numbers.

[video=youtube_share;ilnitMs1LRk]http://youtu.be/ilnitMs1LRk[/video]

Edit: Btw..not sure if you live near PetSmart, but they are on sale for $1 each for the next four days.

6. OP
    OP
    z

Yes I'm planning to get some from there :) I have 3 albino Cory, 2 guppy, and 3 ghost shrimp. Can I add Oto without overstocking the tank?

7. monkeypie102

What size is the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    z

My tank is 10 gallon. BTW do they school with Albino Cory?

9. monkeypie102

I think they will ever so often but not normally... I have silly fish and I can't everyone ever so offer schooling together :)

However you really should considered upgrading if just for the sake of your cories and uping their school to 6. There is comfort in numbers for schoolers. But as your stock sits now i think adding a couple more otos wold most definatly put you at stocked if not a little over stocked

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice