Can I Feed My Fish Romaine Lettuce?

trash.binh91
I have Honey Gouramis, and I want a fresh food diet, and am wondering if I could feed them Romaine Lettuce.

Fashooga
Maybe not a good idea right now with this e. ColI stuff going around.

trash.binh91
I actually thought about that, and I’m wondering if e. ColI affects fish. I just want to make a fresh diet for them, fresh plants, brine shrimp, frozen food, I’m fine with flakes and pellets, but it seems interesting.

How about cabbage, I have some that I chopped

KeyboardCat
I hadn't heard about that. How bad is it?

trash.binh91
It was just from this one farm that suddenly had an outbreak of e. ColI in their crops.

KeyboardCat
Good thing I haven't eaten any lettuce recently XD. I wonder if they'd like frozen brine shrimp, all my fish love them.

trash.binh91
Yeah, I just don’t know if it’s too dirty, could I feed my fish cabbage or iceberg lettuce, and could brine shrimp be too dirty?

Fanatic

Thanks for scaring me, I’m extremely sensitive to the thought of bacterial outbreaks

KeyboardCat
Yeah, I just don’t know if it’s too dirty, could I feed my fish cabbage or iceberg lettuce, and could brine shrimp be too dirty?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by dirty.

trash.binh91
Like, can the brine shrimp pollute the tank too much.

Fanatic
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by dirty.

Brine shrimp won’t make a mess only if your fish don’t eat it.
Bottom dwellers will easily find them, mine love it.

KeyboardCat
They won't cloud the water as long as you don't have any scraps, which is rare, as the fish love them, lol.

BettasnMore
Thanks for scaring me, I’m extremely sensitive to the thought of bacterial outbreaks
Me too, but most (possibly) affected stores have taken it off the shelves, and many restaurants aren't using it either. So throw it out if you have it but you should be just fine.

Me too, but most (possibly) affected stores have taken it off the shelves, and many restaurants aren't using it either. So throw it out if you have it but you should be just fine.

Fanatic

I just had arugula on my bagel, not lettuce.

smee82
Yes you can feed them lettuce.

trash.binh91
The problem with my fish is that, if they haven’t eaten it before, they don’t know it’s food, and then they don’t eat it, and that’s where the trouble starts.

75g Discus Tank
Honey gourami don’t eat veggies IME.

They would prefer live foods.

Live blackworms are a favorite for my honeys, but I ran out.

ktgruner
It was just from this one farm that suddenly had an outbreak of e. ColI in their crops.

Just FYI, the CDC is advising against eating all romaine unless you know specifically where it was grown - the outbreak happened in the Yuma, Arizona region. Problem is most lettuce sold commercially doesn’t have any details on what growing region it actually came from... just where it was packaged.

KeyboardCat
That's about 1 state away. I'll be careful, thanks.

trash.binh91
Nice to know, I’m not buying any romaine any time soon.

BaraYoukai
My fish love kale with a passion... They actually prefer it to oranges. I still haven't figured that one out yet!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views
Pescado_Verde
Replies
Views
CanadianFishFan
Replies
Views