Can I Feed My Fish Romaine Lettuce?

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fashooga said:
Maybe not a good idea right now with this e. Coli stuff going around.
I actually thought about that, and I’m wondering if e. Coli affects fish. I just want to make a fresh diet for them, fresh plants, brine shrimp, frozen food, I’m fine with flakes and pellets, but it seems interesting.

How about cabbage, I have some that I chopped

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It was just from this one farm that suddenly had an outbreak of e. Coli in their crops.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I just don’t know if it’s too dirty, could I feed my fish cabbage or iceberg lettuce, and could brine shrimp be too dirty?

KeyboardCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
trash.binh91 said:
Yeah, I just don’t know if it’s too dirty, could I feed my fish cabbage or iceberg lettuce, and could brine shrimp be too dirty?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by dirty.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
KeyboardCat said:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by dirty.
Brine shrimp won’t make a mess only if your fish don’t eat it.
Bottom dwellers will easily find them, mine love it.

BettasnMore

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
Thanks for scaring me, I’m extremely sensitive to the thought of bacterial outbreaks
Me too, but most (possibly) affected stores have taken it off the shelves, and many restaurants aren't using it either. So throw it out if you have it but you should be just fine.

Fanatic said:
Thanks for scaring me, I’m extremely sensitive to the thought of bacterial outbreaks
Me too, but most (possibly) affected stores have taken it off the shelves, and many restaurants aren't using it either. So throw it out if you have it but you should be just fine.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BettasnMore said:
I just had arugula on my bagel, not lettuce.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The problem with my fish is that, if they haven’t eaten it before, they don’t know it’s food, and then they don’t eat it, and that’s where the trouble starts.

ktgruner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
trash.binh91 said:
It was just from this one farm that suddenly had an outbreak of e. Coli in their crops.
Just FYI, the CDC is advising against eating all romaine unless you know specifically where it was grown - the outbreak happened in the Yuma, Arizona region. Problem is most lettuce sold commercially doesn’t have any details on what growing region it actually came from... just where it was packaged.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom