Valued Member
Reaction score
I take that as a no ! ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, I didn't say "no". I just said that I have no idea. I never tried it so I don't know. But I have read that in nature, fish DO eat insects that happen to sit on the surface of the water (if they can be fast enough to get them of course, lol).

Where would you be getting the flies from? (LOL ;D)

les

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is summer in Sydney and it is stinking hot today !

SO !

Flies galore, using the fly swat, the ones that are half dead, go into the tank !

The barbs have been nipping on the flies ahhaha !

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
why do u want to feed your fish flies???? u can feed them worms (if u want to feed live food)

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you can't feed them flies. Might want to be careful feeding them any live foods though cause it could possibly bring disease.
But yeah... I don't see what would be wrong with it. My danios have eaten those teeny tiny little gnat things before. One had gotten into the tank somehow and I swatted it into the water and they quickly goppled the bug up.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
  Hi les.   I live by a salmon stream that also has rainbow trout and dolly vardin in it.   In the spring if you catch a Dolly, it is FULL of aphids and flies......If they can do it, and your fish want them feel free......Just don't let something uneaten pollute your tank.    ALSO, and this is a catch, if they could have gotten into any insecticide, do NOT feed them.   One other caution, IF there are any COW pies, road apples etc.......in your area  :,  the flies may carry E-coli bacteria which may cause internal distress in fish like it does in humans, just an after thought!      During our summer we do have some flies, I sprinkle 'Buach' on the window sills when the flies get in it they buzz around and dye.   Those could also kill fish........   Maybe you can kill two flies with one swat!!!  I will be interested how your fish like them.....

Fish in the Frozen North.   0 F today.   The IDIDAROD SLED DOG race restart is going on in Willow Alaska today.  If you are interested click on http://www.KTUU.com  they will have articles, pictures, updates, and videos all week.   Enjoy!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
flies for fish !! i'd never even considered it!! - cheap food though!! another money saving tip!!

les

Valued Member
Reaction score
Guess what, the fly was too big for the fish, it is still lying at the bottom of the tank.

Out it comes !

Thanks for all the (funny) replies !

les

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:-\ It was worth a try, maybe if you had frogs!

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
les said:
Guess what, the fly was too big for the fish, it is still lying at the bottom of the tank.

Out it comes !

Thanks for all the (funny) replies !

les
fussy fish!!! will have to swat a smaller one next time!!!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL ... I like this thread! ;D

PPK9110

Valued Member
Reaction score
as for me i say you go for it, i've fed my gold fish flies and even small roaches before, and other small insets like ants, they'll eat it its high in protein, they'll eat anything, the mother eats their own baby..i mean..come on...

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
but roaches and flies r loaded with diseases!!! i think it may cause trouble for the fish.

PPK9110

Valued Member
Reaction score
well its not 100% healthy but thats what they eat in the natural, and plus...people eat all those kinda stuff on fear factor they don't get any disease right?

les

Valued Member
Reaction score
PPK9110 said:
well its not 100% healthy but thats what they eat in the natural, and plus...people eat all those kinda stuff on fear factor they don't get any disease right?
Agree .. they are only (spoilt) fish !

Suprising that they get sick so easy in captivity but in the wild, the do just fine !

PPK9110

Valued Member
Reaction score
thats because as a baby fish in the natural they learn how to search for food and live on their own, and the weak ones will be part of thfood chain for other bigger fish, only the strong ones will survide, and in an aquarium they pretty much eat whatever is being fed to them, and they will lose their ability to look for food so that tells us not to spoil our children j/k...
personal opinion, correct me if i'm wrong plese

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feed my fish little tiny ants I find in my house sometimes

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When my oscar was little i fed him flies, he loved them. You just have to be careful because flies carry deseases. But if fish didn't eat flies, then people couldn't go "fly fishing"...lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom