Can I feed my fish chocolate?

evanrodrigo6969
  • #1
My friend told me that it is completely normal to feed your fish chocolate. As long as its DARK chocolate. I have never heard this before, but since I'm new to this aquarium hobby, I thought I should check here first!
 
alink
  • #2
I don't see any good that could come from it, even if it is safe there are no nutritional benefits to it. I wouldn't risk it. Feed them food designed for your fish. Its the best thing you can do for them.
 
AndreDecasa
  • #3
Welcome to FISHLORE!

The point of fish keeping is creating or mimicking the perfect or natural habitat of the fish you have. Processed chocolate is not a part of it. Chocolate melts and can create pollutant in the water It might be toxic also to the fish since It is cocoa. There won't be any nutritional value in it too though.
 
Gekco
  • #4
I wouldn't try it, just stick with fish food.
 
Lucy
  • #5
Welcome to FishLore

My fish/frogs and I have an understanding.
I won't eat their flakes, pellets or brine shrimp and they won't eat my chocolate.
 
Xysis
  • #6
As tempting as my betta's salmon flakes look, I still haven't tried one. I can't see giving my betta sugar being any good for him. He's hyper enough.
 
evanrodrigo6969
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
Thanks guys! Very helpful information! I'll admit, it was tempting to share my Oreos with them while I waited on a response but I resisted I could tell my gourami was getting a lil jealous lol. ( I did try there fish flakes tho, not too good)
 
hampalong
  • #8
Tetra Min flakes are quite nice, takes me right back....
 
evanrodrigo6969
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
Maybe its good luck LOL!
 
Maverick
  • #10
Has your friend fed his/her fish chocolate..? I agree with the others, all of that sugar can't be good for fish!
But out of curiosity, has your friend fed their fish chocolate before? If so, how are the fish doing?
 
Gekco
  • #11
If you feed enough chocolate to your fish id imagine that it would add a lot of maintenance to your tank.


 
Gena
  • #12
Not sharing! =P

But on a more serious note, I don't think it sounds like a good idea. I've heard of young children putting human food in fish tanks for the fish to "eat" and then all the inhabitants dying on an ammonia spike.
 
DoubleDutch
  • #13
Knowing chocolate can kill dogs cause their organs can't cope with the stuff (including the high amount of sugar) in it, I wouldn't feed it to any animal.
 
Cacret
  • #14
There are foods designed for each animal. Its not like human food like steak can give enough nutrients to a dog, all the more chocolate for ANY animal
 
safzola
  • #15
no way that is a bad idea ..
 
maggie thecat
  • #16
Every day you learn something new.

Or not. Now I'm going to spend the day wondering why someone thought fish might benefit from chocolate.
 
Tabbycat
  • #17
If you want to give your fishies a treat, give them frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms or frozen mysis shrimp.

As a side note, chocolate is toxic to doggies. Never give doggies chocolate. I do not know about cats but I doubt it's good for them either.
 
jdhef
  • #18
One would think if it were good for the fish, one of the fish food companies would be busy trying to sell it.
 
Aquarist
  • #19
I would not recommend feeding chocolate to your fish. I'd be very concerned about water quality issues if one did.

Ken
 
BornThisWayBettas
  • #20
Conclusion: Probably not worth it lol! Between the risk of Ammonia spikes and the fish getting sick off the chocolate I personally wouldn't do it, besides, if your fish are hounding you for your chocolate it might be because they just like to beg lol!
 
smee82
  • #21
I wouldn't feed it to you fish but I don't buy that its toxic to dogs. My little jack Russel I had back in the day was addicted to chocolate. We never fed him any but he stole any he could get his paws on. I remember one xmas we had a bit to drink and forgot to lock him in the laundry and by the next morning he had eaten all the chocolates santa had brought me and my brothers in the night.

Oh I'm 32 yrs old and santa still brings me chocolates every yr so if someone tells you his not real tell them to bugger off.
 
AndreDecasa
  • #22
I wouldn't feed it to you fish but I don't buy that its toxic to dogs. My little jack Russel I had back in the day was addicted to chocolate. We never fed him any but he stole any he could get his paws on. I remember one xmas we had a bit to drink and forgot to lock him in the laundry and by the next morning he had eaten all the chocolates santa had brought me and my brothers in the night.

Oh I'm 32 yrs old and santa still brings me chocolates every yr so if someone tells you his not real tell them to bugger off.

What happened to the dog?
 
maggie thecat
  • #23
I wouldn't feed it to you fish but I don't buy that its toxic to dogs. My little jack Russel I had back in the day was addicted to chocolate. We never fed him any but he stole any he could get his paws on. I remember one xmas we had a bit to drink and forgot to lock him in the laundry and by the next morning he had eaten all the chocolates santa had brought me and my brothers in the night.

Oh I'm 32 yrs old and santa still brings me chocolates every yr so if someone tells you his not real tell them to bugger off.

It's the theobromide in chocolate that dogs don't tolerate. But theobromide content varies in chocolate products, plus some dogs are more tolerant than others. Dogs plus chocolate isn't an instant death sentence, but the gastric upset that it can induce isn't much fun for either the pooch or his owner either.
 
BornThisWayBettas
  • #24
I think my dog used to steal candies and stuff like chocolate and M&M's and it didn't kill her. Maybe just some dogs can't tolerate it?
 
aliray
  • #25
Chocolate is toxic to cats, dogs and parrots. . and I think the darker the chocolate the higher the theobromine level. Bad idea for any animal. Alison
 
Tabbycat
  • #26
It's the theobromide in chocolate that dogs don't tolerate. But theobromide content varies in chocolate products, plus some dogs are more tolerant than others. Dogs plus chocolate isn't an instant death sentence, but the gastric upset that it can induce isn't much fun for either the pooch or his owner either.

It has been known to cause seizures and death in some dogs. I personally wouldn't risk it.

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dogs-and-chocolate-get-the-facts
 
AndreDecasa
  • #27
Has anyone tried to feed their fish chocolate though? My inner scientist is tingling I don't wanna sacrifice a fish in the name of science.
 
BornThisWayBettas
  • #28
Nope, and I don't think I will. P.S. AndreDecasa, you're a Fish Keeper now!!!
 
AndreDecasa
  • #29
Nope, and I don't think I will. P.S. @AndreDecasa, you're a Fish Keeper now!!!

FINALLY lol, didnt notice that lol.

But I'm fairly sure that it is bad, It grows on trees not underwater so no way a fish can always have access on that thus proving that it is most likely a bad thing.
 
BornThisWayBettas
  • #30
What if it falls off a tree and into the water, though?
 
AndreDecasa
  • #31
What if it falls off a tree and into the water, though?

like I said "always have access" meaning not really often.

That's what I'm curious about, What If a cocoa bean falls under water. Usually cocoa beans grow in tropical rainforests.

I'm guessing it just rots. Since its not processed what so ever It shouldnt have the ability to melt.
 
evanrodrigo6969
  • Thread Starter
  • #32
Boom! My point exactly lol


 
BornThisWayBettas
  • #33
Hmmm.... But what if a fish ate a rotting cocoa bean?
 
Dadio
  • #34
Here's a thought. A visitor was over and a bar of chocolate (Mr Big, gave wife a little talk on that, her bar ;( ) was on the ledge of my koi holding pond of which I did not see until the following day, or what was left of it. My koi are pretty open to try a lot of things, they eat watermelon, blueberries, some like cantolope, others spew it back at me lol, fresh pineapple.

Pure cocoa masse (not available to the general public) would not kill the fish but they would be very active as were mine and that was a candy bar so don't feed them processed anything. The masse of cacao is very high in many nutrients, but not candied chocolate or for that fact, dark either. Bars contain more than cacao, they have butters, buffers, waxes and processed sugars and many others. Pure cacao masse does not have this so it would not pollute the water, anything else would. But as many have said, don't try it. I have pure cacao masse, but this is used for skincare services.
 
AndreDecasa
  • #35
Hmmm.... But what if a fish ate a rotting cocoa bean?

I don't personally know the answer.

Maybe since the fish will most likely be a wild one, MAYBE just maybe it might tolerate it because almost all wild fish are designed to survive in the wild.
 
BornThisWayBettas
  • #36
Idk, probably best not to try feeding it to your fish though!
 
Dadio
  • #37
I don't personally know the answer.

Maybe since the fish will most likely be a wild one, MAYBE just maybe it might tolerate it because almost all wild fish are designed to survive in the wild.

It's because it's not processed, a raw bean is not the same, so is what I mentioned.
 
AndreDecasa
  • #38
It's because it's not processed, a raw bean is not the same, so is what I mentioned.

You ninja'd me.
 
newtanksyndrome
  • #39
lol I'm putting this on ifunny and reddit


Sent from iPad app
 
BornThisWayBettas
  • #40
Lol!!!!
 

Similar Aquarium Threads

  • Locked
  • Question
Replies
14
Views
1K
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
8
Views
75
Thunder_o_b
Replies
23
Views
882
ruud
  • Locked
Replies
11
Views
997
MtnTiger
  • Locked
Replies
14
Views
690
DoraCory
Top Bottom