Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Can I Feed My Betta Earthworms? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by JeffsHuman, Apr 15, 2019.

1. JeffsHumanNew MemberMember

So I recently moved to Binghamton, New York (some consider it to be upstate) and it has been raining the past couple of days. Maybe I have not noticed it before but, there are literally thousands of worms everywhere. They are all over the sidewalks, in the dirt patches and in the massive puddles. As I am astonished about all the worms, the most I have seen in my life, my mind came across the question of wether or not I could feed one to my Betta fish Jeff. So, can I feed my Betta fish earthworms? I am unsure of chemicals used in the area as I know from my preliminary Google search, that is an important factor. I also know that size may be a complication. So that leads me to my second question of wether I can chop up the bigger worms and keep them alive? Jeff has never had live food before so I thought this might be a special treat. He eats dried bloodworms as a snack on occasion. Plus, I think it would be pretty cool to do. Thank you for time! What do you guys think?

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Lol! A Bettas stomach is about as big as it's eyeball so I'd say, if you can chop them as big as his eyeball, he'd be able to eat it. As far as keeping "chopped up" worms alive-unlikely. Personally, considering pesticides etc. Especially in residential, lawn covered places-I'd save the worms for fishing, not for my Betta.:):)

3. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

I’m sure you could cut them up and feed them to him but the big question is what have the worms been eating and what have the traveled through? Even a small amount of fertilizer can crash your entire tank and kill the inhabitants. A really good option for free live betta food would be mosquito larvae. A lot of people will leave buckets of water out and wait until the mosquitos lay their eggs. Scoop out some of the babies once they’ve hatched and add them to your tank! Betta fish love them. Just keep the bucket away from your house or dump it before they fully transform.

4. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, keep it about 200 yards from your house (that's the range of mosquitos) and warn your neighbors you're growing mosquito larvae.

5. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

It would be safest to not feed him the worms. You would have to chopp it and freeze most of it, and it will make the tank water really dirty. If I had an oscar or somthing I might be more tempted.

6. SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

Do any pet stores around you sell live black worms? They are really easy to keep. If you had a culture of black worms in a fish bowl that's more then enough for a betta. Only feed one or two at a time.

7. KelseyD2000New MemberMember

Yeah, the fertilizer is a really big concern but also any possible parasites the worms might have, I just wouldn't take the risk.

8. Thedudeiam94Valued MemberMember

Anything from outside your home can contain parasites. Be very cautious if you consider doing anything like this!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019