Can I Feed Him Too Much?

Chillin
Currently have a nice Blue lobster for a few months
he has molted twice, have not caught him in action yet!
feed him sinking wafers daily
drop them so they fall on him and he grabs it, fun to watch
lately if gathered a population of 'wild guppies' and spear them on a stick..
is this doing too much? he seems to enjoy it.. watched him fully eat 1 in like 5-7 bites like omgs! lol
so if I keep feeding him a life 1 daily, what should I expect, mind you that he also eating nice wafers (2types I give algae 1day and protein next)
I have a baby panama crayfish iv just gotten also that sits in the guppy tank, he takes pellets now a little bit, or at least knows its food.. idk what's good to feed him since he is young
so bulking up lobster with mosquitofish daily a crazy idea?

2006fuzz
I don't think crayfish NEED "live" food in their diet. the biggest concern in their diet is high source of iodine to insure healthy molts, which a good quiality algae wafre will have. As a treat a fish might be good, but not as a staple. Regarding the "wild guppies", I'b be wary of feeding myc rayfish anything wild caught, especially fish as you don't know what kind of parasites they carry.

Chillin
I know they do not NEED live food, but its fresh
they are also apparently the most aggressive crayfish to get from what iv seen and read heh
so figured the claw structure is fairly long for catching fish compared to some of similar size that eat more veggies
just trying to do some since-able comparisons..
here is what he is looking like shortly after last molt, I do not think he was finished expanding when this was taken

0703181257_HDR.jpg

Chillin
so I am guessing no one else has every tried to 'bulk up' their crayfish / blue lobster?....
something wrong with it?

Sarah73
Have you tried any live brine shrimp? They love to catch them, but I don't know if the claws are too big. As for the wild guppies I would just buy some guppies from a store and breed them a few times so you know that you don't have any disease fish your feeding him.

Chillin
I have not tried live brine shrimp
not sure iv seen any around locally
I do have 2 fancy guy guppies, and 3 girls 1with some blue on her
waiting for them to pop some babies out, I do need 1 more tank, of course, for my swordtail fry to grow out
swortails were my origination choice to feed him, but they are still too small heh
but he seems so freaken hungry lol

Sarah73
I have not tried live brine shrimp
not sure iv seen any around locally
I do have 2 fancy guy guppies, and 3 girls 1with some blue on her
waiting for them to pop some babies out, I do need 1 more tank, of course, for my swordtail fry to grow out
swortails were my origination choice to feed him, but they are still too small heh
but he seems so freaken hungry lol
fish always seem hungry. It's called self control

2006fuzz
Your cray will just needs a varied diet. In nature they’re scavengers, they get to eat the sickly fish that reach the bottom and can’t avoid them but their diet mostly consists of decomposing plant and animal matter. As for fattening up the cray, I have read that trying to get them to grow to fast may cause molting complications sonid be cautious.

Chillin
I have not made the live food a staple, only do that like once or twice a week really
he gets 2 different types of sinking pellets , 1 is algae. plus he has a few algae balls in his tank he munches on; fairly big, only "plant" he can't 'kill' hah
plus fresh green bean, so he has a good diet id think
only drop pellets once or twice a day on him
there is 1 okay sized gold fish with him and there does not seem to be an issue

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JLeeM
Replies
Views
Silverleaf209
Replies
Views