Can I decrease my filtration?

NDFishes

Hi friends!

Right now I am running my 55 gallon aquarium using two Aquaclear 70 filters and a sponge filter (sponge rated for 75 gallons and a tetra whisper 30-60 air pump). I have 15 neon tetra, 7 black neon tetra and 8 Candy Cane HY511 tetra. Also have a little bit of hornwort and anubias in there.

I must say that given my wife and I’s one bedroom apartment size the noise from the three filters together is a little loud. We’ve had the tank going for about 3-4 months now. Now that things are a little more established, would it be safe to decrease my filtration? Say, take away one of the aqua clears or MAYBE even both and just run the tank on the single sponge filter? Just brainstorming some ways to decrease the noise. Thanks :) I’ve attached a picture below too.

Attachments

• 24E2B4F9-A878-4498-8A43-059FA2ABFB28.jpeg
    24E2B4F9-A878-4498-8A43-059FA2ABFB28.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 12

Cherryshrimp420

You'll probably suffer some losses as your tank adjusts to a new equilibrium

Maybe try a canister filter?

PlantedCommunityTank132

I’d say you can definitely take one of the aqua clears away. I would take out one, and put the sponge filter on the other side of the tank

WRWAquarium

Hi

Is most of the noise from the air pump or the HOB's?

On my tank I think the air pump makes the most noise. With the stock i think you could potentially reduce filtration but may cause a spike by removing your good bacteria.

If it was me I would probably loose the sponge filter and try to cut up pieces of the sponge and fit it in the 2 HOB's. Depends on what's making the most noise though.

NDFishes

I’d say you can definitely take one of the aqua clears away. I would take out one, and put the sponge filter on the other side of the tank
I definitely thought about doing exactly this.
Hi

Is most of the noise from the air pump or the HOB's?

On my tank I think the air pump makes the most noise. With the stock i think you could potentially reduce filtration but may cause a spike by removing your good bacteria.

If it was me I would probably loose the sponge filter and try to cut up pieces of the sponge and fit it in the 2 HOB's. Depends on what's making the most noise though.
That’s a good idea cutting up the sponge. Would removing the air pump cause oxygenation problems for the fish? I imagine there would still be good surface agitation between the two aquaclears to provide adequate oxygen?

kansas

I'd dose with Prime for a couple days after removing any filters, to protect you fish while the bacteria in the remaining filters catch up.

OutsideFoodBlob

I’d second figuring out first which is louder the hob filters or the air pump.

The media and pre-filter/intake filter can be put in a mesh media bag and live mostly out of view in a corner so you don’t lose your bacteria. Or get a box filter and put in there.
If you can’t tell, I prefer sponge and box (in tank) filtration. So admittedly a little biased. And find they are quiet, especially in a bedroom. Which where the tanks are.

KingOscar

Yes, one AC70 is rated for a 70 gallon tank. I have one on my bedroom 75 along with an AC20 and it is near silent. I only put the 20 on to jump start the cycle because it was established. I decided I liked it enough to leave it. With proper stocking levels (like you have) and maintenance one 70 alone would be fine, I'm sure.

Most air pumps are not very quiet, and sponge filters take up space and look untidy. If it were mine I'd dump that.

Transplanting some sponge media to the AC70 is a prudent safeguard.

Fisch

Mattenfilter would be an option as well, they are a bit cleaner looking. Did you consider a power head for your sponges instead of the air pump? That may help as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
UaDavid
Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies
Views
LadfromLondon
Replies