Can I cycle with dr Tim’s and api quick start?

TheAnglerAquarist
Member
I don’t want to screw things up
 
StarGirl
Member
StarGirl
Member
Yes just follow the insructions.
 
  • Thread Starter
TheAnglerAquarist
Member
StarGirl said:
Yes just follow the insructions.
thanks!
TheAnglerAquarist said:
K I just put in the recommended for both. I keep adding 2ppm of ammonia per day right? I will change the water weekly unless I shouldn’t. I know how the cycle works but I have never done it before! Help me out please
 
GlennO
Member
I assume this is a fishless cycle? You shouldn't need to change any water until the cycle is finished unless you need to lower something. The idea is to keep the ammonia level at around 2ppm which may not require adding ammonia every day. You need to test daily and add some ammonia only when you need to bump it up. I doubt that the API quick start will do much. It's not necessary to use it but on the other hand it will do no harm.
 
  • Thread Starter
TheAnglerAquarist
Member
GlennO said:
I assume this is a fishless cycle? You shouldn't need to change any water until the cycle is finished unless you need to lower something. The idea is to keep the ammonia level at around 2ppm which may not require adding ammonia every day. You need to test daily and add some ammonia only when you need to bump it up. I doubt that the API quick start will do much. It's not necessary to use it but on the other hand it will do no harm.
Thank you
 
DoubleDutch
Member
GlennO said:
I assume this is a fishless cycle? You shouldn't need to change any water until the cycle is finished unless you need to lower something. The idea is to keep the ammonia level at around 2ppm which may not require adding ammonia every day. You need to test daily and add some ammonia only when you need to bump it up. I doubt that the API quick start will do much. It's not necessary to use it but on the other hand it will do no harm.
The mainly heterotrophic bacteria in API Quickstart will eat the ammonia so it won't be food for the wanted natural bcteria to occure. So I wouldn't
Use Dt Tims One and Only. That contains the right bacteria (to seed the filter)
 
  • Thread Starter
TheAnglerAquarist
Member
Wait now I have
DoubleDutch said:
The mainly heterotrophic bacteria in API Quickstart will eat the ammonia so it won't be food for the wanted natural bcteria to occure. So I wouldn't
Use Dt Tims One and Only. That contains the right bacteria (to seed the filter)
to get other bacteria? My parents are gonna be annoyed... DoubleDutch

I have to have bacteria?

Sorry
 
mattgirl
Member
TheAnglerAquarist said:
Wait now I have

to get other bacteria? My parents are gonna be annoyed... DoubleDutch

I have to have bacteria?

Sorry
No you do not have to add bottled bacteria. As long as you have an ammonia source bacteria will grow.
 
  • Thread Starter
TheAnglerAquarist
Member
mattgirl said:
No you do not have to add bottled bacteria. As long as you have an ammonia source bacteria will grow.
Thank you!!!!

TheAnglerAquarist said:
Thank you!!!!
What does this look like to y’all on ammonia
I added 8 drops of the 2 ammonia bottles because if I only used # 1 it was clear
Help me please

DoubleDutch
 
mattgirl
Member
TheAnglerAquarist said:
What does this look like to y’all on ammonia
I added 8 drops of the 2 ammonia bottles because if I only used # 1 it was clear

Anyone??
Help me please
You did the ammonia test correctly. You have to add 8 drops from each bottle. You add 8 drops from bottle number one and then 8 drops from bottle number 2. Cap the test tube and shake it. The color you see at 5 minutes is the ammonia level. Looks to be about 4ppm. What size tank are you cycling? If it is 10 gallons or less 2ppm ammonia is plenty.
 
  • Thread Starter
TheAnglerAquarist
Member
mattgirl said:
You did the ammonia test correctly. You have to add 8 drops from each bottle. You add 8 drops from bottle number one and then 8 drops from bottle number 2. Cap the test tube and shake it. The color you see at 5 minutes is the ammonia level. Looks to be about 4ppm. What size tank are you cycling? If it is 10 gallons or less 2ppm ammonia is plenty.
It is 29 gallons and thanks for responding!
 
mattgirl
Member
TheAnglerAquarist said:
It is 29 gallons and thanks for responding!
You are very welcome. 4ppm isn't an extreme amount but once it goes down add less the next time. 2 or 3ppm will be plenty.
 
  • Thread Starter
TheAnglerAquarist
Member
mattgirl said:
You are very welcome. 4ppm isn't an extreme amount but once it goes down add less the next time. 2 or 3ppm will be plenty.
Thanks!
 
  • Thread Starter
TheAnglerAquarist
Member
Harraj128
Member
TheAnglerAquarist said:
This looks like 4 again right? (Ammonia)
nitrates are 0
Nitrites are 0
Hard to tell looks lighter though I'd say maybe 1-2? Better to stand the vial up against something white when photographing
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom