Can I Buy All Fish At Once?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ASHLEY R COOK, Apr 18, 2018.

1. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

I'm not done cycling yet but someone said I could fully stock at once if I dose to 4ppm and cycle my tank.
    Don't I have to quaritine them?
    I have a 10 gal for my QT.
    My stock plan for my 37 gal is 6 cories, 3 mollies, and one angelfish.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

you don't necesarily need to quarantine. quarantining is more for making sure not to introduce something to your already stable population. However, since you don't have anything yet, you should be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

Will this mean just watch for any signs of sickness everyday and quaritine if needed?
    So I can buy and put all fish into the main tank at once when I'm cycled?
    Or should I go slow to not start a mini cycle?

4. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I would start slow just in case something jumps on you. And yes, just watch your fish and quarantine if necessary.

5. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

I’d dip them first and start with bottom feeders, adding all your fish at once can lead to ammonia spikes even when cycled for larger bio loads. It also good to do batches so you can make sure your fully prepared before adding another batch allowing yourself more time to deconstruct your stock or fix possible minor issues such as algae or snail infestation.

6. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

In theory dosing for a high bio load does allow you to add a large ammount of fish at a time. People typically do it when they place orders online to help cut down on shipping.

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I would go ahead and get all of them at the same time if the tank was cycled for a high bio-load. Don't immediately start feeding them though. Give them a day or 2 to settle in.

A lot of times new fish are too stressed to eat so by not offering them food that won't be eaten you won't be adding an extra ammonia source if you don't remove it and if they aren't eating they won't be adding a lot of ammonia either so you really shouldn't see a spike in perimeters.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  8. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I have to differ.

I would add slowly.

I’d add 6. Then another 4-6 weekly depending on what they are.

Just my 2 cents.

9. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Get them all at once. Less problematic, imo.

10. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

When I added fish to my 55 I added 20 fish but in a span of hours. Helps avoid any problems if you just do it slow.

Slow and steady wins the race.

11. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

This is a topic that people differ a lot on! Lol if i do wait, just to be one the safe side, i do need to quaritine after the first batch?

12. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

Yes. I'd get them slowly, but you should be able to get all the mollies at once. After that, get the corydoris in pairs or trios, then the angel fish last. Since angels can be aggressive it won't mark the tank as its territory and go after things added after it, hopefully. It will probably still go after anything it finds annoying, like the mollies if they nip its fins. Make sure to get either only male or only female mollies or the males will chase the females and might attract the attention of the angel fish. Adding all at once would add to the stress of the new fish and I'm sure you want the best for the angel especially- those are real beauties even with all their bloodlust.
    By adding them slowly you can also observe the bahaviour of the fish. If the mollies are fin nippers they will probably go for each other regardless of gender, for example. Make sure there's a cave or two, not just plants, so the angel fish won't be as annoyed by them. The corydoris will probably be your easiest fish, since the angel should ignore them unless you get a particularly nasty fish. You want to make sure you know your mollies very well before adding the angel. If the angel does peck them it may just leave bruising, which can be hard to spot. Again, the mollies may try to eat the angels fins and barbels. Or just shred each others tails out of boredom/fighting if there's not enough hiding places and they're aggressive ones.

13. f

fishaholic87 Valued Member Member

you should add them a couple at a time

14. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

A lot of people on here fish-in cycle, where slowly adding fish is important. I added 23 fish, plus snails after fishless cycling all at once into my 37G and everything was great! I’ve had similar experiences in the past. With fishless cycling you can build a large bacterial colony. If you add slowly (over weeks) That bacteria will die back.

I do, however QT before adding. While cycling my tank I have a few tubs where I would QT them before adding all at the same time.

15. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

After posting this I still don't know what to do. Lmao.
    I guess I can get them put the cories into the main tank and put the mollies into QT for a week and then add them to main tank and get angel into QT for a week?
    Or should I do a full 4 week QT for both mollies and angel?
    Is adding a week apart slow enough?
    If I can add all at once I'm up to that. I just got so many mixed answers.

16. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Most are just guessing based on how they feel and not any real scientific data it seems.

You can add the 10 fish you listed in your original post all at once easily in a cycled 37g tank. The trick is feeding. It's not so much the fish that's the problem but the amount of food you give them that will create more or less waste from the fish. Feed them lightly and ramp up the amount of food over a week.

2 reasons for a QT is so you don't infect fish in your main tank and it's cheaper to medicate a 10g or 20g tank vs a 37g (or 75g) tank.

17. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

You can eliminate most needs for quarantine if you dip every one first. I could give you a recipe for a dip if you’d like.

18. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

Hey I'm curious about how to use the dip and how to make it. I'm gonna research more as well. Is it safe for fish like cories and plecos that don't have scales?

19. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Some issues like internal parasites don't show up for up to 2 weeks so that's the main reason for QT. A dip won't kill off internal parasites.

20. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

Corys are sensitive to salt. With Plecos it's hit or miss, there's so many breeds.

As for your original question, I fish-in cycle and I can attest that any more than a 25% population increase will initiate a visible biobloom. If you're dosing, I would take the directions on the bottle into account.

+1 for knowing your Mollies before adding anything else in with them. I've seen some pretty aggressive Mollies. Angels are less aggressive when they're kept in schools, but they need lots of room too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice