Can I Add...

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by TJG, Aug 18, 2019.

1. TJG

TJGValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok I have a 125 gallon planted tank with eco-complete substrate and a few pieces of driftwood. Current stock is 1 Angelfish, 1 Pearl Gourami, 6 Rainbowfish (5 Australian and 1 Iranian Red), 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 7 Rummy Nose Tetras, 6 Albino Cories and 6 or 7 Nerite Snails. The filtration is a 40 gallon breeder sump fed by a CPR overflow box with filter pads for mechanical and about 25 lbs of lava rock for biological then returned through a Jebao 1600 water pump set at 50%.

I have read various articles and posts about Electric Blue Acara and I am now wondering if one of them would work in my tank. Most of the information I have seen says that their temperament is about that of an Angelfish more or less. So what do you think can I add an Electric Blue Acara to this tank? If not let me know if you have any ideas of what I could add or if you think the tank is fully stocked as it sits.

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,069
    Experience:
    2 years
    Not sure about the EBAbut being you have a 125 i think you could up your tetra schools to 10.

3. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    1 year
    I've found Blue Acara to be fine with smaller fish, I've had them in with small Harlequin Rasbora, Julli Corydoras, Guppies and currently small Columbian Tetra. The Acara just show zero interest in them, they'll be more interested in you.

4. OP
    OP
    TJG

TJGValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I hadn't considered uping the schools of Tetras. They have just been together for so long. Would introducing smaller Tetras into the schools throw them off? The Rummynose are the new additions. The Blackskirts and Bleedinghearts have been in one tank or another for 2 years or so now.

5. Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +301
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think an EBA Would make a great addition your 125.

Although I have heard they may eat neons and Rummynose due to their small size.

6. OP
    OP
    TJG

TJGValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hmm I would hate to see the Rummynose get it, I actually want more of them.