Can I add some Tetra's Today? Question

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by DTurner, Jul 19, 2015.

1. D

DTurner Valued Member Member

Hey Everyone,

So i have had my tank set up for a week. The PH is stable at 6.9, KH of 5, CO2 is about 20-18ppm, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates all at 0. This is a heavily planted aquarium (See Picture) and I am going through a Silent Cycle.

Would you guys think with proper water changes and keeping an eye on the fish that I could add a few Neon Tetras today.
    I know that typically you want to wait for a full cycle however since this is a silent cycle I believe I should be all set to add them today.

Please Let me know your opinion.

Here is a Picture of the 20 Gallon Aquarium.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

David

2. OP
    OP
    D

Heres the photo, wouldn't let me put it in the original post for some reason.

3. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

If you keep an eye on your parameters sounds like you are good to go.

4. OP
    OP
    D

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah I agree, Neon tetras are quite sensitive so just keep an eye on your water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Has there been any sign of ammonia nitrite or nitrate at all?

7. OP
    OP
    D

there has been nothing for the past week. the sponges in my fluval 106 where from a previous tank I had set up, however they were rinsed well before being put in here. all of the filter media however is brand new.

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

In a tank that well planted with true aquatics, you may never see any nitrite or nitrates. Those Wisteria and Ludwigia will suck up ammonia as fast as fish can produce it, and there are other bunch plants in there. Plants also bring a fair amount of bb with them, but I'd say you could put 10-12 Neons in there and never see a trace of nitro waste.

In fact, you will have to add food for the Sword plants to keep them healthy. They are root feeders, so not going to get the nutrients they need from just fish. They don't compete well with the bunch plants.

9. OP
    OP
    D

chromedome52 I have dirt substrate with clay based. I have pressurized co2, and dose the Flourish Line so I will. I think the nutrients will be there for the plants.

I only got 6 of them so I don't think the bioload is going to be too much.

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Indeed, that sounds like they should all thrive. Good Luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice