Can I Add Silver Dollars? 100 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by Trout_Mask_Replica, Apr 6, 2010.

1. T

Trout_Mask_Replica New Member Member

I have a 10" Oscar, a Firemouth, and 1 Tiger Barb (the last of 8 Mohicans :(). They've been in the tank since September.
    It's a 100g bowfront, 42 long by 21. (With gravel, it's probably closer to 85 g). For filtration I have an Eheim 2217 & 2215.
    Question: Can I add 3 Silver Dollars (or 5 Giant Danios)? I do weekly water changes of about 80%. My wife thinks it looks empty. I've explained that another Oscar (or any cichlid is out of the question).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dedt8ZHEE

207.jpg

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!! Ive kept silvers with oscars and they did fine...but my oscars grew up with them....so not sure how an adult would do with them .....as far as your danios, they would have to be pretty large for him to not see them as food......hes fabulous looking!!!!

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

That was a great vid! Your tank looks great and your Oscar looks so happy!

I agree with Shawnie about the growing up together. A group of 3 Silver Dollars would work as they grow to 6" but it could be ify. Giant Danios I would so no on too since they have a long narrow body and only grow to about 4", could be easy to eat for the Oscar later. I suggest in 2-3 Pictus Cats for the bottom. They are active and fun to watch. Drop sinking pellots in after lights out.

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

He's a gorgeous oscar! I'm really not good with oscar tankmates (I'm still learning myself), but it looks like Shawnie and Alyeskagirl have you covered!:p

5. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I've kept them together with no issues at all.

6. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks guys. It's a tough call. I'd hate to go through the whole quarantine procedure just for my Oscar to start wailing on them. This happened to a Blue Acara when my Oscar was about 4". He had to go back to the store.

7. bolivianbaby

Is this the same oscar? If so, you may want to re-consider silver dollars. Blue acaras are a little tougher than silver dollars, but not by much. How big was your BA?

You may just have a very aggressive oscar.

8. OP
    OP
    T

The Blue Acara was about the same size. I probably should have tried a smaller one. Then the Oscar wouldn't have perceived him as a threat/competitor.

He lived in relative peace with a school of Tiger Barbs. They were eaten over a period of months, but not bullied. Maybe he's just an opportunist, not aggressive. :)

-----------------------------------------
    A recent conversation in my house:

Her: "Let's add some Angelfish!"
    Me: "That's not a great idea."
    Her: "How about Discus?"
    Me: "Definitely not."
    Her: "What about a puffer?"
    Me: "Keep trying."
    Her: "Another Oscar?"
    Me: "If it's two males we'll have World War 3."
    Her: "More Tiger Barbs?"
    Me: "Does the Oscar look like he feels guilty?"
    And so on until we get to the old faithful SD, which I have reservations about.

9. bolivianbaby

IME with cichlids, putting smaller tankmates (without lots of hiding places) usually makes the smaller tankmate a target.

If you do decide to get the silver dollars, you may want a backup plan in case things don't work out.

Keep us posted and good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice