Can I Add Seachem Stability Now? Fishless Cycle In Progress.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Algonquin, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

So I'm in week 2 of a fishless cycle in my new 10 gallon tank. Dosed pure ammonia to 4.0 ppm at the start, and Finally, yesterday, it's dropped to 2.0 and I have a Nitrite reading (2.0). Hooray!

So I'm doing my very best to be patient with the cycle... however, the fish that I want to put in the tank are hard to come by in my area. I've found a LFS about an hour away that just got a ton in stock (for a great price too!), and they'll likely have them for another week or 2 (fingers crossed!) I don't mind waiting until the cycle is done to stock the fish if necessary, but I'm wondering if adding Seachem Stability at this stage would help or harm my cycle in progress?

I have another tank that I didn't borrow seeded media from because the inhabitant has been sick, so I'm not taking any chances!
    Also, I don't have access to Dr. Tims or TSS, just something called Marineland Aquarium Bacteria that sounds entirely suspect...

2. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

I've always done my fishless cycles with ammonia and stability from the start.

Adding it now might just give it the push it needs.

3. OP
    OP
    Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

I was hoping someone would say that! :joyful: If you add Stability right at the start of your fishless cycle, wouldn't the high ammonia kind of kill it right away?

4. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

I've always cycled my tanks to process 1.0 - 1.5 ppm ammonia since I only have small/nano fish.

I also usually add no more than 3 fish per week after cycling to allow the filter to adjust to the new bioload.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice