Can I Add Seachem Prime To Reduce Nitrate ?

sanjay7

Hello .
I'm cycling my nano tank.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 50

Can I add prime to reduce the nitrate ?
I'm cycling with fish and dry rocks.
It's a bare bottom tank . I do carbon dosing still no use .
I have cheato which I add few days back .
It has been 34 days since I started this tank

ValerieAdams

No, do a water change. Prime won't reduce anything. It makes ammonia non-toxic for 24 hours.

sanjay7

Okay I have ordered salt . Still waiting for it. How far carbon dosing will help ?
How much percentage should I do water change ?
No, do a water change. Prime won't reduce anything. It makes ammonia non-toxic for 24 hours.

ValerieAdams

I don't know anything about carbon dosing. I didn't really realize this was a saltwater tank stella1979 Culprit ?

techfool

It won't reduce nitrate. Purigen will by sucking out proteins and lipids and other such gunk.

stella1979

Thanks ValerieAdams ... HI Sanjay. It's nice to see you again. I'm not familiar with carbon dosing, and I couldn't be sure, but don't think Culprit has experience with it either. Both of us use chaeto to reduce nitrates, along with careful feeding, keeping mechanical filtration clean, and weekly water changes of about 20% of the tank's total volume.

You may want to do 2 larger water changes pretty close to each other to get your nitrate levels down. 50ppm is definitely too high, so I think I'd do a 40% change, wait 2 days, then do another 40% change.

Beyond bringing the level down, you'll need to work on keeping it from getting that high in the first place. Regular weekly water changes along with a careful feeding routine should help, as will the chaeto. Are you providing light for the chaeto?

sanjay7

HI stella1979.
Yes I do provide light for cheato it's in a small breeder box in my DT itself.
So yeah I was trying to do everything in budget. I know Saltwater tank Cannot be don't as expected budget. My fellow hobbyist asked me to to carbon dosage to feed the good bacteria and remove the nitrate . And try to avoid water change as much as possible.
Thanks ValerieAdams ... HI Sanjay. It's nice to see you again. I'm not familiar with carbon dosing, and I couldn't be sure, but don't think Culprit has experience with it either. Both of us use chaeto to reduce nitrates, along with careful feeding, keeping mechanical filtration clean, and weekly water changes of about 20% of the tank's total volume.

You may want to do 2 larger water changes pretty close to each other to get your nitrate levels down. 50ppm is definitely too high, so I think I'd do a 40% change, wait 2 days, then do another 40% change.

Beyond bringing the level down, you'll need to work on keeping it from getting that high in the first place. Regular weekly water changes along with a careful feeding routine should help, as will the chaeto. Are you providing light for the chaeto?

stella1979

Well, there are many ways of doing things, and carbon dosing, along with other ways of reducing nutrients in a tank, are all ways that aquarists might remove waste from the water so they don't have to do as many water changes. In my mind, this might be a good idea if I had a big tank that would be a lot harder and more expensive to do water changes on. Though, like any action we take with our tanks, there is the potential for good and bad or no result at all. If carbon dosing is the path you wish to take, I would highly suggest you put in a lot of research on the best method to achieve your goal. I am sorry that I cannot help you with it. I just haven't learned much about it as it is not something I want or need to do at this time.

However, I don't believe carbon dosing is the answer to 50ppm nitrates, and think a couple of water changes is the best answer for right now. Once your nitrates are down to a comfortable level, you will feel more comfortable and have time to read about carbon dosing.

sanjay7

Yeah getting few ideas from you . I will research more. And find best solution. Your idea seems good "water change"
Well, there are many ways of doing things, and carbon dosing, along with other ways of reducing nutrients in a tank, are all ways that aquarists might remove waste from the water so they don't have to do as many water changes. In my mind, this might be a good idea if I had a big tank that would be a lot harder and more expensive to do water changes on. Though, like any action we take with our tanks, there is the potential for good and bad or no result at all. If carbon dosing is the path you wish to take, I would highly suggest you put in a lot of research on the best method to achieve your goal. I am sorry that I cannot help you with it. I just haven't learned much about it as it is not something I want or need to do at this time.

However, I don't believe carbon dosing is the answer to 50ppm nitrates, and think a couple of water changes is the best answer for right now. Once your nitrates are down to a comfortable level, you will feel more comfortable and have time to read about carbon dosing.

Culprit

Water changes in nano tanks are always the best way to go about it. Its easy, and quite literally nothing benefits a reef tank as much as regular water changes.

I'd follow what Stella said, and hopefully soon your chaeto will take off.

sanjay7

Okay. I will do it
Water changes in nano tanks are always the best way to go about it. Its easy, and quite literally nothing benefits a reef tank as much as regular water changes.

I'd follow what Stella said, and hopefully soon your chaeto will take off.

sanjay7

Also my pH is 7.7.
How do I make it higher ?

sanjay7

Hello. I'm yet to do water çhange. I just told another hobbyist about my tank . He was like doing water çhange will take even more longer period for the tank to cycle . He was like let it go by nature.
I'm really confused. Nitrates are still at 50 pH is 7.7 no changes at all

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom