Can I add platy's?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by SarahMc, Mar 24, 2010.

1. S

SarahMc New Member Member

Hi! I would like to add platy's to my tank. I have a 55 gallon tank with: 1 bristlenose pleco, 5 zebra dannios, 2 glowfish dannios, 6 cardinal tetras, 2 black skirt tetras, one guppie, and one dalmation molly. I would like to add platy's but I'm not wanting to deal with babies and such. Can I add one? Or one each of different kinds? What do you guys think? I'm new at all this, but I do know that my tank's water parameters are good, and I keep it at about 78 degrees.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you can just add one platy if you want. If you add a group of males and females, you will definitely be overrun with fry, lol. You could try adding several males, but I'm unsure of how they will get along with each other. Maybe someone who has kept more platies than I have will be able to advise you there. :)

3. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!!!!

I think the other fish you already have will keep platy fry to a minimum if you decide to get them. The fry dont hide as well as guppies most likely because they have color at birth.

I have guppies and platies in the same tank and out of 100 guppy fry I have only had 5 platy fry survive.

Good Luck

4. *Hannah*

*Hannah* Valued Member Member

I didn't wanna start a new thread on the same question, so I am gonna post my question here.

My question is, I have a 20 gallon fish tank with 1 male Betta and 5 zebra danios. I was wondering if I could get 2-3 female platies and 1 Otto. Oh, how much do ottos and platies cost?

Thanks,
    *Hannah*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice