Can I Add One More Fish? 55 South Cichlids

BlueSubmarine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi there

I have a well established 55 gallon tank and I wanted to see if i could add more fish (or odd balls) to my existing community.

I currently have 2 firemouths (not paired), a female convict (1-inch), and a bristle nose pleco.

Id like to add another cichlid but m also open to something else.

Thanks!

Chaory

Valued Member
Reaction score
What about a school of giant danios?

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's so many things you could. You should add a school of dithers to fill it out. Like some serpaes/tetra or danios etc

Slaphammer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm still a noob and can't answer the question, but thought I'd mention the site which can help you determine limits on your tank after you enter in what you currently have.

James17

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A school of Zebra Danio would look nice.

BlueSubmarine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I like the idea of the school however I'm starting to lean more towards another type of cichlid. I'm worried that the convict might start picking on them as it gets bigger .

Any idea if an Acara or salvini would fit the bill?

. I'm also liking the convict a lot (great personality) so i wouldnt be opposed to adding another one if that would work.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If the convicts end up pairing then that could be a real issue. They are very aggressive during spawning and female convicts will pretty much pair up with anything. So, unless it was another female, I would stay away from anything in the amatitlania or the old cryptoheros line (sajicas, HRPs, etc). A salvini might work as you've got some pretty hardy cichlids in there but it will probably end up ruling the tank as their aggression levels are higher than what you have in there currently. I think something like a threadfin acara, blue/eb acara, or yellow acara (metae) might work.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads