Can I Add Nerite Snails to this Setup?

Gameynerd23
Hello, I've got stocking all sorted out for a 55 gallon I'm setting up and I was curious if I could add a group of Nerites or if that would be too much for the tank or they would get bullied/eaten. From what the internet has told me, Nerites won't breed unless in brackish water, so does that mean I could have a larger group and that group wouldn't grow? I was originally thinking Mystery Snails, but they get too big and could overrun the tank.

STOCKING:
12-14 Chili Rasboras
12-14 Ember Tetras
12-14 Habrosus Corys
12-14 Kuhli Loaches
6-7 Honey Gouramis
1 Female Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Thanks for the help!

Sweetie07
Hi hun, Kuhli loaches won't be quite as dangerous to keep with snails as clown loaches/ botiin but I personally wouldn't take the risk - I'd also be worried about keeping adult Pleco's with snails: some might disagree but generally if you're raising (or breeding) snails you shouldn't keep them with Pleco's. Some might not touch the snails, but the fact they could and would if they wanted to would put me off I've got a few Nerites and they lay their little eggs everywhere but don't breed as my tank isn't brackish, and they're so lovely - they often all cuddle up together in their little group and I've had no problems with them whatsoever, I love them

Gameynerd23
Sweetie07 said:
Hi hun, Kuhli loaches won't be quite as dangerous to keep with snails as clown loaches/ botiin but I personally wouldn't take the risk - I'd also be worried about keeping adult Pleco's with snails: some might disagree but generally if you're raising (or breeding) snails you shouldn't keep them with Pleco's. Some might not touch the snails, but the fact they could and would if they wanted to would put me off I've got a few Nerites and they lay their little eggs everywhere but don't breed as my tank isn't brackish, and they're so lovely - they often all cuddle up together in their little group and I've had no problems with them whatsoever, I love them
Thanks for sharing about your snails! I might have decided to go with the snails if it was just the kuhli loaches, but since nerites only grow to be about an inch (I think) I would want them to get eaten or for the pleco to choke on a snail. There's no snail between Nerites and Mystery Snails in terms of size or one that's less likely to be bothered?

RayClem
Sweetie07 said:

If you are trying to raise snails, loaches and plecos will certainly be a risk to snails eggs and baby snails, especially if you have some of the larger loaches and plecos. However, if you want to add adult nerite snails to a tank with Kuhli loaches and bristlenose pleco, both of which are smaller species, I doubt you would have an issue.

Gameynerd23
RayClem said:
If you are trying to raise snails, loaches and plecos will certainly be a risk to snails eggs and baby snails, especially if you have some of the larger loaches and plecos. However, if you want to add adult nerite snails to a tank with Kuhli loaches and bristlenose pleco, both of which are smaller species, I doubt you would have an issue.
I already have some Kuhli Loaches waiting to upgrade to a bigger tank and they don't mess with the pond snails in the tank from what I can tell. I'll keep looking at different species of snail and try to find the best fit. Thank you for the help!

RayClem
Gameynerd23 said:
I already have some Kuhli Loaches waiting to upgrade to a bigger tank and they don't mess with the pond snails in the tank from what I can tell. I'll keep looking at different species of snail and try to find the best fit. Thank you for the help!
Some people hate pond snails and bladder snails and consider them to be pests. Personally, I do not mind them. Every time I do a water change, I remove dozens of these snails along with the old water. That is sufficient to keep them under control.

Gameynerd23
RayClem said:
Some people hate pond snails and bladder snails and consider them to be pests. Personally, I do not mind them. Every time I do a water change, I remove dozens of these snails along with the old water. That is sufficient to keep them under control.
I personally don't like them that much, but I have a handful of Assassin Snails in the affected tanks, so at least they have some food.
Could I add Assassin Snails? They max out at around 3 inches, I believe, they eat pest snails, which is always possible with live plants, and they're beautiful. They also don't reproduce all that quickly and the Kuhlis/Pleco should be able to keep breeding under control, yeah?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom