Can I add more fish?

soad32892

Hi there! I just wanted to get peoples opinions on wether or not my tank can handle a few more fish. I have a 20 gallon long with a aquatop forza 15-25 and a fluval aqua clear 20. I currently have the following:
1 Alenquer Tiger Pleco
2 Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtails
4 Venezuelan Corydoras
5 Mystery snails
And a few cherry shrimp

I was wanting to add a small school of Kubotai Rosbora. 3 to 6 maybe. Just wondering if that would be too much for my tank or not. Any advice appreciated!

nzfszr

Your tank looks perfect.

I think you can add more fishes but not too many... I would add 3 platies (1M 2F), if I were you.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Personally I wouldnt add anymore fish this stocking is close to perfect

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Very nice looking tank. :)

In my humble opinion only if you upgrade your filtration. You are already under filtered for the stock you have. Both plecos and mystery snails are heavy waste producers. Sadly filter manufacturers highly over rate their filters. The ones you have are barely strong enough for a 5 gallon tank much less a 20 gallon although both say they are for 5 to 15/20 gallon tanks. I recommend you get a filter designed for at least a 50 gallon tank. Run both it and one of the small filters you are running now.

You can never have too much filtration. Too much water movement if it affects the fishes ability to swim but never too much filtration.

Upvote 0

soad32892

Your tank looks perfect.

I think you can add more fishes but not too many... I would add 3 platies (1M 2F), if I were you.
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.
Personally I wouldnt add anymore fish this stocking is close to perfect
This is how I felt about it and why I reached out to everyone here. Personally not enough experience for me to know if adding more was a good idea. Thank you for your suggestion!
Very nice looking tank. :)

In my humble opinion only if you upgrade your filtration. You are already under filtered for the stock you have. Both plecos and mystery snails are heavy waste producers. Sadly filter manufacturers highly over rate their filters. The ones you have are barely strong enough for a 5 gallon tank much less a 20 gallon although both say they are for 5 to 15/20 gallon tanks. I recommend you get a filter designed for at least a 50 gallon tank. Run both it and one of the small filters you are running now.

You can never have too much filtration. Too much water movement if it affects the fishes ability to swim but never too much filtration.
Thank you for your input! I definitely had no idea that filters were weaker than advertised. With the two currently in there I do feel like there’s some good water flow. I feel like one rated for a 50 would be intense. This is my first tank so that is all assumption lol. I may have to give this a try and see how it goes. Thanks again! I appreciate your time!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Thank you for your input! I definitely had no idea that filters were weaker than advertised. With the two currently in there I do feel like there’s some good water flow. I feel like one rated for a 50 would be intense. This is my first tank so that is all assumption lol. I may have to give this a try and see how it goes. Thanks again! I appreciate your time!
You are so very welcome. I think they rate their filters with no media in them. Once it is added things slow way down.

I actually run a filter rated for a tank up to 33 gallons on my 5.5 gallon tank. There is no way it would work for a tank bigger than what I am running it on. It turns over a lot of water with no media but that really does nothing for filtration.

I run one rated for a 55 to 100 gallon tank on my 12 gallon pleco grow out tank. I baffle the output with a piece of foam to kinda slow the output. The foam is another place for bacteria to grow. I run 2 of the same HOB filters rated for a 55 to 100 gallon tank on my 55 gallon tank along with 2 sponge filters.

Like I said, you can never have too much filtration. It there is too much water movement it can be baffled. With heavy waste producers in this tank like a pleco and 5 mystery snails the more filtration the better.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mermish
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank I want to add more fish
Replies
Views
pandacorytay
  • Question
Replies