Can I Add More Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by nikm128, Nov 7, 2018.

1. nikm128

nikm128 Valued Member Member

Current stocking:
    2 angelfish
    4 white skirt tetras
    3 yellow mollies 1 gold panda molly
    1 blue gourami
    Cleanup crew:
    1 albino bristlenose pleco
    1 gold spot pleco (I know this will eventually need a new home or bigger tank)
    2 ottocinclus catfish
    3 emerald corrydoras catfish
    45 gallon tank 36x24x12.5
    Marineland penguin 200b filter
    Lightly planted; well oxygenated water change is 25% once or twice a week as well as vacuuming the gravel

2. OP
    OP
    nikm128

I’m looking to add more middle swimmers or top swimmers as there is a lot of unused empty looking swimming space

3. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

I'd be less concerned with adding more top level fish and more concerned with finishing the schools you already have. The emerald cories, otos, and the tetras should be in at least groups of 6 of each species to be happy. However, there's a bit of incompatibility with the temperature needs of the fish you have too, since otos like cooler water.

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

You could up the skirts and the cories but I'm thinking you don't really have enough room for another school of fish. For variety you can mix white, black and glo skirts. They have long fin ones as well.

5. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Well Known Member Member

Get your skirt tetras up to at least 6. They will be stressed and nip at other fish fins if kept in a school that small. Get your corydoras up to 6 as well. Also, angelfish will not do well in a 12 inch tall tank. They should optimally be kept in an 18+ inch tall tank. I would honestly suggest rehoming.

6. OP
    OP
    nikm128

They all used to be in complete schools, I just haven't been able to replace the ones that died over the course of having the tank yet. For some reason my parents don't see a point in getting fish I already have.

7. CrazedHoosier

You need to tell your parents it is detrimental to their health and mental wellbeing to be in larger schools. If they say no still, you should probably rehome them, too.

8. OP
    OP
    nikm128

I'm thinking I'm just going to buy them myself this weekend while I'm watching the house. After I complete the schools could I add something like hatchets or another top swimmer?

9. OP
    OP
    nikm128

The tank is 12.5 inches front to back 3 feet long and 2 feet tall. Sorry for the confusion

10. OP
    OP
    nikm128

I also keep the water as cool as possible without causing harm to my other fish. The tank is currently at 76-78

11. CrazedHoosier

That is great then! Your angels will be very happy!

12. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Funny your title asks if you can add more fish. Then states you need a bigger tank. Lol I just find that funny.

You could use more ottos, corydoras, and tetras to complete there schools. Other then that your fully stocked.

As fish keepers our tanks are never big enough, nor do we have enough tanks. Hua?

13. OP
    OP
    nikm128

I just found out that pleco was not a bn like it was sold as and that it will outgrow the tank, I am planning on completing the schools soon.
    Definitely never big enough or have enough; if it were up to me I'd have multiple tanks the size of a whole room lol

14. CrazedHoosier

It is a disease! Ever since I began watching Aquarium Co-Op, I've wanted an 800 gallon aquarium...

15. Dave125g

MTS is a real thing. My wife keeps mine at bay lol.

16. OP
    OP
    nikm128

How do you all recommend I stagger completing the schools? That would be adding 2 tetras 3 corries and now 5 ottos as 2 recently died of unknown causes

17. Dave125g

I would complete the tetras first. Remember you can get glow tetras and black skirt as well. There the same species. Then after there finished in quarantine do the Cory's. Then a few more ottos. It's like triage, the tetras need friends first.

18. OP
    OP
    nikm128

That makes sense, but what about the now lone otto, shouldn’t I take care of him first?

19. Dave125g

Are your tetras nipping at each other or anyone else?

20. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Not that I’ve seen, believe it or not the mollies are having some nerve chasing my angels around sometimes. I know that has nothing to do with the question I just find it funny. The tetras are very active and peaceful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice