Can I Add More Fish? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Beginner101, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Beginner101

Beginner101 Valued Member Member

I have a 20g tank currently with 2 Platys 3 dwarf gourami and 10 neon tetras. I'm using a aqueon quietflow 10 filter, but if I get the aqueon quiet flow 30 filter could I get 2 more dwarf gourami?

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

I don't think so, depending on your planting level i think you would be pushing stock limit with two more. But just in case wait for someone more experienced to answer.

3. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ok, thanks

4. appcontrol

Btw i just saw that you already have 3 gouramis so i would say no in this case

5. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Yeah, good idea, I was just think if they're was a way I could afew more cause my mom keeps saying the tank looks empty.

6. appcontrol

And for platys you can keep 1 or put 1male to two females at least. In your case i would remove platys from tank and add small school of bottom territory fishes to have more life in it. But all depends of what dimensions are of tank and how planted, how much you do wc etc.

7. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Well the tanks not plated actually and it's 24l, 13w and 17h and u do around 30% weekly.

8. appcontrol

Then no i wouldn't suggest adding anything. Without plants and with that dimension you are pretty much on top of your stock.

9. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ok, thanks for the help

10. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

No, you need to remove 2 gouramis actually. Dwarf gourami are aggressive toward one another and I'm fairly sure that you got all males.
    You should add more filtration, the Quietflow 30 would work fine.
    If the tank looks empty, once you remove 2 Gouramis, then you can add another platy or two and maybe 3-4 more neons. Then you will be fully stocked.

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Unless you have female dwarf gouramis, you should be removing most of them, as mentioned.

12. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ok, how do I know they are fully adul

13. Fanatic

Just try to measure the fish if it comes near the glass, or estimate it's length.
    It'll usually be adult, or quite close to being one, if it's near or met the maximum length for that species of fish.

Dwarf Gouramis can get to be four inches.

14. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Oh ok, I'm gonna call my LFS to see if theyll take them back. And my platy gave birth sometime last night, what do I feed them? How? How often? How long can they go without food?

15. Fanatic

The fry need to be protected from the other fish that may try to eat them.
    You can feed them tiny bits of food, but I may be wrong because I do not specialize in fry.

16. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Oh ok, I put them in a separate tank

17. Fanatic

Good, make sure they feel secure, usually, java moss makes a good hiding area for fry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice