Can I Add More Fish

1. mccann1987

mccann1987 Valued Member Member

Hi I have 23galon long tank. It's has 10 neon tetra, 4wcmm, 1 dwarf gourami, 4amano shrimp and 1 nerite snail.

Would i be able to add any guppys. Would they be compatible and how many. My lfs sells male and female separately so I'm thinking about just males.
    ( thinking maybe to donate the wcmm which would free some space but I do love them they were my first every fish)

Also I'm considering changing my substrate from pea gravel to sand. I'd ok to add 5 or 6 bottom feeders( cory cats).

Thank you

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    mccann1987

Thank you for that. If I was to keep the current 4 wcmm could a add any guppys or would you recommend either the wcmm or guppys.

instead of the guppys how about a pair of key hole chichlid, or a female betta.. I have been searching for a peacock gudgeon but I cant find one.

Thank for helping me out.

4. BottomDweller

I would recommend the WCMM or the guppies as WCMM need to be kept in groups of 6+ so 4 isn't enough.

A betta needs warmer water than neons, WCMM and panda cories. It is also very likely she would fight with the DG.
    A keyhole cichlid would need a bigger tank. If you want a cichlid how about a bolivian ram?

5. OP
    OP
    mccann1987

Yes a bolivian ram could do. I'm just looking to fill the space little space I have left.

Iv decided I am going to change my gravel for sand. Will do it in 2 weeks after I come back from holiday.

I know it's going to fairly stressful for the fish. Would you recommend taking them all out into a big container with the same water and changing it in one go.

Also if I rearrange the decor with the new sand substrate the fish should be ok after they get use to it and lastly would the nerite snail and amano shrimp be ok with sand and compatible with the corys.

Thanks.

6. BottomDweller

Here's what I did when I swapped gravel for sand in one of my tanks
    1) Fill a bucket or tub with tank water
    2) Move filter, heater and fish into tub
    3) Remove about 50-70% of the tank water
    4) Scoop out the gravel
    5) Rinse the sand really well
    6) Wash the sand even more
    7) Put sand in the tank
    8) Refill the tank
    9) Add the filter, heater and fish back in

The water will be cloudy for a little while but will soon clear up

Nerite snails and amano shrimp are fine with sand and cories.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with BD's advice.