Can I add more fish?

1. twilk2012 Initiate Member

I have a 60g tank with:
    3 emerald cats
    5 black phantom tetras
    1 dwarf gourami
    3 swordtails
    I would like to add 5 diamond tetras. Would this be too many fish?

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Assuming the emerald cats are cory's, and diamond tetras are in the 2"-4" range, I would think you'd be fine adding them.

3. twilk2012 Initiate Member

The emerald cats are called corys in the pet store but they are really not corys and grow to about 4"
    After adding the diamond tetras would my tank be fully stocked or culd I add more fish?

4. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I think you could add more.

5. fishy friend2 Member Member

Ahhhhhhhh, so we are speaking about brochis splendens, yes. They get a little bigger than 4 inches mate, they get around maybe 4.5-5 inches at max, and have a very high bioload. They are commonly misconcepted to be one of the many corydoras species just becuase they look like it, but they are actually brochis splendens, or commonly sold as emerald cories, A better I'm much prettier alternative to them would be bronze corydoras

Your average diamond tetra only gets to be about 2.5 inches and has a relatively small bio load, I think that you could easily have the amount you want. Just watch out for aggression towards the Dwarf Gourami, also I think you could easily have more fish in there

6. Dez The Betta Member Member

I think you would be fine they only get to be 2"-2.5". Your "Emeral Cories" on the other hand are just as the previous posters said not corys, they can get from 4"-5". Good luck with your Diamond Tetras!

7. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Before I would arbitrarily say yes or no I would have to have a lot more information than just the tank size and the current stocking list. What is the current filtering system? Are you using a bare minimum HOB filter or are you using a much more affiant canister filter? What are the current water parameter readings? Is the tank a tall or long tank?

There are many things to consider when stocking a tank. The shape of the tank’s foot print and the amount of surface area available to use for oxygen exchange, the type and quality of the filtering system are just two things that needs to be first looked at.

For example a divided 30 gallon tall tank is not like having two 15 gallon long tanks because the foot print that each section of the 30 gallon would be much smaller than the two 15 gallon tanks would have. Therefore the divide tank would not be able to house as many fish safely as the two individual 15 gallons tanks would be able to.

Any tank set up with the bare minimum filter would not be able to handle the bio-load of a more efficiently filtered tank would be able to handle therefore the number of fish would need to be limited. There can not be an absolute answer to the number of fish a tank can have because there are just too many variables that need to be considered but in general the better the filtering system is and the larger the foot print of the tank the more fish it is able to house.

A 60 gallon long tank with a good filtering system could easily handle the stocking list you are suggesting and probably even more but a 60 gallon tall tank with a HOB filter would not.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

If you could take a few minutes to fill out your aquarium information, then we would be able to provide you with much better help. It's located in the "my settings" drop down menu.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The short of it is yes, you can.

In the interests of everything and avoiding some more questions the aquarium info would greatly help us out.

To access the Profile, click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE changes as the bottom of the page when you are done.