Can I Add More Albino Corys In My 20g Long?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by leannajayde, Apr 13, 2018.

1. leannajayde

leannajaydeValued MemberMember

I really want to upgrade to a 29 or 30, but I think a 20g long is all my floor will handle.
    I currently have seven guppies, three albino cory and one lace cat.
    I'm rehoming 4 guppies(the females) and my lace cat, after that would I be able to add anymore albinos?
    I also was wanting to add some shrimp.
    Thanks!

2. Little John

Little JohnValued MemberMember

corys are a schooling fish they should be in a group of six or more.

3. Five 97

Five 97Well Known MemberMember

Yes, as stated above, you'll need to up the school to at least six. There's still enough room for more fish with the corys and guppies though, are there any other fish you're interested in?

4. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

So if i get a total of six albino cories plus my three guppies in my 20 long ill have room for more???
    Honestly ill probably get a buttload of shrimp, maybe some African dwarf frogs if they're compatible.

5. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't keep ADF with albino cory in the same tank.
    The frogs are partially blind, and the cory would move to quickly. Unless you absolutely can be sure to get them their food, you shouldn't keep them together.

The other fish can steal their food, mostly because of their poor eyesight.

6. Five 97

I wouldn't keep ADFs with this stock either (for the same reasons), they really aren't very ideal for community setups. Are you aware of whether your albino corys are C. paleatus or C. aeneus? What about Ruby tetras?

7. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

What are the difference between the two?
    Would I be able to get more cory cats and keep my lace catfish?
    I first got into this hobby in January and he was one of my first fish, im having a hard time letting him go.
    Its IMPOSSIBLE to get a picture of him,

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  8. Five 97

Lace catfish can get over 8 inches when full grown, I would rehome him. A quick way to tell the difference between the two albino form species is to look at the dorsal fin. In paleatus they're rather upright and pointed, while in aeneus they're more rounded in appearance. Post a pic?

9. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

Sorry, I just fed them and they're freaking out and won't stay still 20180328_162134.jpg20180328_162143.jpg20180413_205826.jpg

10. Five 97

I believe these guys are C. aeneus, but I'm not a 100%. @DoubleDutch? They have a much wider temp range than C. paleatus, it would leave you with more options if they are indeed C. aeneus.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Correct @Five

12. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

Is there a different in size between the two? I was told they would get about 3 inches is that true?
    Im worried they aren't growing and they look sort of skinny to me compared to all the videos I watch.
    That's another reason im wanting to get rid of some of my guppies, they literally gang up in ANY food I put in there for the cats, even sinking things, and end up chasing the corys off

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

They are youngsters and will grow (females will get quite bigger than).
    Feed them proper food (protein) like shrimpellets, bloodworm, brineshrimp etc.... amd they'll be okay !

14. MissRuthless

MissRuthlessWell Known MemberMember

They look healthy to me! I had a school of aeneus (bronze and albino) that I gave to my mother and the bronzes are now all around 2.5-3", while the albinos are all slightly smaller (probably 2" it slightly under). I don't know if that's normal but it seems pretty standard with mine.

PS guppies are jerks!!

15. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

In my old 55, I had over 22 pygmy Corys lol...it was funny! One HUGE school/shoal/mob whatever. And also just 2 Rainbows.

16. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

I had some frozen brine shrimp that I went to feed the guppies the other night, some fell to the sand and one of my cory cats found it and the second his mouth touched it he just FROZE then went ham on it
    Needless to say I'm going to try and figure out how to get that to them more often, lol!

Whenever I go to either of my lfs the albinos always look smaller than the other CC, so maybe its normal?
    How long will it take mine to finish growing do you think? Im always worried that they aren't growing or gaining weight as they should.
    I feed all of my cats every other day. Is that acceptable?
    My lace cat will literally push anyone out of the way to get his food, but the corys just kind of let the others take the food from them, either that or they can't find it in time and someone gets to it first.
    Most times ill take a long chop stick and hold a wafer to the sand, take the other chop stick and ward guppies/LC off that way the corys can have their fair share but I don't always have time to do that unfortunately

I wish my lfs had pygmy! I only have petco and petsmart around me and that just have your standard run of the mill guys.

Ive been feeding all my cats a mix of these things? Is this decent food to feed them? (Ignore the bite marks in the wafers bag, apparently my cat also like algea thins). 20180414_193609.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  17. NLindsey921

NLindsey921Well Known MemberMember

Those aren't the best quality fish foods. Mostly fillers. I feed mine omega one. They love it.

18. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

Okie dokie! When I go pick up my new tank(need a new 20 Long, mines leaking, yikes!) Tuesday ill get some better food, thanks!
    Petco(petsmart? Idr which one, mine are literally right beside each other) is having their dollar per gallon sale so hopefully they'll have that food as well.

19. MissRuthless

MissRuthlessWell Known MemberMember

Albino is technically a genetic defect. /0 I always assumed it was normal for them to be a bit smaller. Their growth depends heavily on what they eat, water temp and parameters and such so it's impossible to say when they'll be full size. The ones I have my mother have been with us for around three years, some seem to be done growing and others are still growing a bit. I believe a lot of fish grow throughout their entire lives, faster in the beginning and slower toward the end.

You could try feeding them with a turkey baster, and basting their food onto the substrate in front of them while feeding the guppies at the surface simultaneously. They'll forage after lights out too, so you could try feeding them at night so the guppies can't see their food. I love feeding them bloodworms, they look so cute with a little worm sticking halfway out their little o shaped mouths lol :D I know some people also feed them the tubifex worms that you stick to the glass, maybe sticking one of those near the bottom while you distract the guppies up top with something else would work. I feel you though, I have a pair of chopsticks with my fish stuff for when I need to fend off food thieves and such.

20. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice