20 Gallon Tank Can I add Kuhli Loaches?

AltVzn

I really really WANT kuhli loaches. But I don't know if they'll like it in my tank.

Depending on the result of my nitrate levels per week (once my tank finishes adjusting to the new fishes), I'm planning to add 5-6 kuhli loaches.

Do you think they'll be fine in this setup?

F84FDD76-5965-4C57-9359-DE01DEB2D94F.jpeg
I heard they'll be just as fine on gravel, and the gravel I have isn't rough; more on the rounded to round flat gravel.

Currently, I have 14 neon tetras, two honey gouramis, 1 nerite snail, and 4 mystery snails. Once I'm done treating my 10 gallon, I'll be putting 2 or 3 mystery snails back in there. So 1-2 mystery snails left for the 20 at the end of the day.

The tank doesn't seem to be full. I think it just looks half full. But maybe it's just me

Please let me know what you think

Kribensis27

It sounds pretty close to a good stocking level already, but you could maybe pull off some kuhlis. They’ll live on gravel, but they won’t like it very much. Kuhlis are a burrowing species and spend much of their time under the substrate. They can still burrow in gravel, but not as easily as sand. Since they won’t be able to burrow quite as easily, I suggest adding some hiding places. Some botanicals would be good, as they can hide under leaves and really seem to like it. Maybe take out a bit of your gravel and replace it with sand? They just need some form of cover.

Upvote 0

AltVzn

It sounds pretty close to a good stocking level already, but you could maybe pull off some kuhlis. They’ll live on gravel, but they won’t like it very much. Kuhlis are a burrowing species and spend much of their time under the substrate. They can still burrow in gravel, but not as easily as sand. Since they won’t be able to burrow quite as easily, I suggest adding some hiding places. Some botanicals would be good, as they can hide under leaves and really seem to like it. Maybe take out a bit of your gravel and replace it with sand? They just need some form of cover.
Thank you for your response! Yeah~ the bottom is really empty, and most the fish aren't really big, so I really want to add something else

Do you think six'll be fine? The hornworts are REALLY thick, especially the right one, so that's possibly a hiding place at the bottom. And maybe I could add some anubias onto the caved rocks?

I'm planning to cut up my hornwort and spread it across the back, so maybe that'll help too

I can't think of any "easy to grow" plant that's thick other than hornworts. I think anubias is good to for the shade, I'm trying to grow out frogbits too (in my 10 gallon), my snails keep eating it before it can grow. Once it grows a lot, I plan to adding a good cover of frogbits too

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Try to get some botanicals and low growing plants. A good carpeting plant is dwarf sag. I makes a nice, thick, bulletproof carpet that kuhlis love to hide in. For botanicals, you can buy catappa leaves and monkey pods online, along with finding and boiling your own pesticide-free leaves.

Upvote 0

AltVzn

Try to get some botanicals and low growing plants. A good carpeting plant is dwarf sag. I makes a nice, thick, bulletproof carpet that kuhlis love to hide in. For botanicals, you can buy catappa leaves and monkey pods online, along with finding and boiling your own pesticide-free leaves.
Ohh, I thought botanicals just means plants. I believe there are "catappa" leaves in my LFS, and I'll try and find some dwarf sags then. I'll be rearranging my tank to make more hiding places then, thank you! What are the purpose of botanicals? And what do i do with them?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Botanicals help acidify the water, along with providing a hiding place and being really good for fish. All of the fish you have are from acidic areas naturally rich in botanicals. They might tint your water a bit, but they’re really beneficial for a lot of fish and help enhance color. Kuhlis use them to hide, snails and shrimp use them as a food source, and some fish even use them to breed. The slight acidity of the water over time due to tannins from the botanicals may ware away at the snails' shells a bit, but as long as you can provide a source of dietary calcium, there should only be some minor pitting along their shells. I put boiled oak leaves in all of my betta, tetra, SA cichlid, rasbora, and gourami tanks.

Upvote 0

AltVzn

Botanicals help acidify the water, along with providing a hiding place and being really good for fish. All of the fish you have are from acidic areas naturally rich in botanicals. They might tint your water a bit, but they’re really beneficial for a lot of fish and help enhance color. Kuhlis use them to hide, snails and shrimp use them as a food source, and some fish even use them to breed. The slight acidity of the water over time due to tannins from the botanicals may ware away at the snails' shells a bit, but as long as you can provide a source of dietary calcium, there should only be some minor pitting along their shells. I put boiled oak leaves in all of my betta, tetra, SA cichlid, rasbora, and gourami tanks.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response. I'll try and find those I guess. And I believe I spinach is good enough for the snails' shells as its the only thing I feed, and their shells looks much better than they were in the store. I rearranged my plants to provide more hiding areas, and added a bridge for my kuhliis just now. I'm planning to get a huge anubias I can put in the middle so my tank has some shade. I'll be providing shadows with a floating hornwort too. Hopefully all that will help them be more active in daylight.

Can I add all 6 kuhliis at once? Or 3 at a time?

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EncroachingLoach
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aquarium77
  • Question
Replies