Can I Add Frogs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FEARADDAY, Apr 16, 2017.

1. FEARADDAY

FEARADDAY Valued Member Member

hello i was wondering if i could add an african dwarf frog to my 10 gallon it has guppies a platy and a cory cat is it compatible?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Well, how many guppies do you have in the tank as of right now?

You could do a ADF, but you need to give it plenty of places to hide as a refuge from the other fish.

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

You could try it depending on the number of guppies, but you'd need 2 as they like companionship and be prepared to take them out if they are being out competed for food or are being attacked, it's common for fish to nip ADF toes off:(

4. Fanatic

Yes, thats also something I have experienced.

I wanted to do a 10g Betta and ADF Community. But I don't think I want to now, because bettas can be very mean to the frogs.

Although my betta never seems to ever flare, and didn't have problems with my ADF's

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It seems you have some stocking issues as well, if you'd like to discuss them :)

I wouldn't add any with the fish you have. ADFs won't compete well for food against the more active fish, as the ADFs have poor eyesight. They may also attack fish.

6. Fanatic

Poor little guys.

They don't do well against the other fish in trying to get food.

7. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

I know an ACF would try to eat the guppies, is the same thing true of an ADF?

8. Fanatic

Nope, ADF's wouldn't try to eat them.

They might try to pester them in some way.

9. TexasDomer

They might mistake them for food and bite them. If they're small enough to fit in their mouths and they bite them, then yes, they may eat them.

10. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

I would be more worried about the guppies eating the ADF, but it's possible for the ADF to mistakenly nip the guppies as well.

11. TexasDomer

Guppies won't eat a live ADF. They may nip at one, but they really shouldn't eat them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice