Can i add dead coral to my tank?

Discussion in 'Corals' started by Sturty, Dec 30, 2012.

1. S

Sturty Valued Member Member

Ok so i picked up A fair amount of coral today for $10! And i want to add ot to my tank but im unsure if i can and how to do it correctly.
    I'll wash it first in warm water.
    Can i add it all at once or piece over a few weeks?
    Will adding coral have any effect on my water conditions?
    Thankyou in advance :)
    [​IMG]

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

You may want to read this  

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Where did it come from? Is it dry or wet?
    You can rinse it if you want, shouldn't do any harm.

You can add it all at once (dead coral, aka coral skeletons) are the building blocks of the reef. It will help maintain/stabilise calcium, alkalinity and pH in the tank.

Though, question - why add dead coral? Live coral is much nicer ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and per the link, the likely effect is that they will fade/go yellow/brown.

4. OP
    OP
    S

Sturty Valued Member Member

Haha thanks for that!
    Ryan im way to scared too add live coral at the moment! Ive got alot to learn before i even consider live rock and i want to set a sump up and change the substrate before i put in anymore fish or add coral.

I want to add the dead coral to add sone hiding spots, my tank is very empty looking and the clowns hide behind my thermometer lol id rather them hide/sleep behind coral.
    Its very dead and very dry. Its been in storage for around 12 months i believe
    I might drop them in now and position them in the high water flow area to slow algae growth untill my coraline algae arives and i'll sort out a cleanup crew

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice