Can i add cory cat

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a ten gallon tank with 2 black male mollies, and 2 orange male swordtails. My tank is cycled and i am wanting to put a cory cat in my tank but i was thinking i have enough load already with the fish i have already in their. Any suggestions would be helpful

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, what is the adult size of mollies and swordtails? Is it 1.5 or 2 inches, or perhaps more? And what is the adult size of the cory? Suppose mollies and swordtails grow to be 2", that gives you 8" of fish (2 mollies + 2 swordtails). If the cory grows to be 2" too, then you have the space for it But I'm not sure if cories like to stay in groups (I think they do).

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its best to keep cories in groups of three or more. 1 in a tank *can* be done though.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
we have 2 corys in the platys tank and they're pretty happy little girls.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually you are overstocked (well you will be as they grow) with just the 2 swordtails as they get to be 5" each as adults. The mollies get to be a bit over 2", so you are looking at 14"+ when they all reach adult size. OK to leave them all in there, just understand it will require more maintenance to deal with the extra load eventually.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Luniyn said:
Actually you are overstocked (well you will be as they grow) with just the 2 swordtails as they get to be 5" each as adults. The mollies get to be a bit over 2", so you are looking at 14"+ when they all reach adult size. OK to leave them all in there, just understand it will require more maintenance to deal with the extra load eventually.
Yea, i was thinking platys.. lol.. swordtails do get up to 5" as luniyn says. Any chance you'd be able to get a 20 gallon to put the swordtails and a few cory cats in once it's cycled? Then you'd be able to add a few corys to the mollies in the 10 gallon.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're speaking of the 10 gallon in your signature, then I would say no as you're overstocked already.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cories are schooling fish who like to be in groups of 3 or more (as are otos by the way) and you do not have room for one let alone 3. You do not even have room for the Oto that you have. I am sorry but your tank is overstocked already.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom