can i add conditioner half cycle?

Jren
so I forgot to add conditioner to the tank when it was first cycled 4 days ago and now its in mid cycle. my conditioner removes ammonia so I'm not sure if the bacteria will die when I add it. so my question is: can I add the conditioner mid cycle?
a pic of my conditioner:

Jren
cud someone pls advise?

ashleighh28
I would get prime ASAP and use that. But I'm only a beginner

Jren
I would get prime ASAP and use that. But I'm only a beginner
whats the diff between prime and this?

ashleighh28
Prime detoxifies nitrite and ammonia and works instantly. Do you have a test kit?

Do you have a fish in this tank?

Jren
Do you have a fish in this tank?
nope. won't removing the ammonia and nitrates stop the cycle that the tank is going thru now?

Grimund
nope. won't removing the ammonia and nitrates stop the cycle that the tank is going thru now?
Prime will detoxify ammonia (NH3) by temporarily binding it into ammonium (NH4+) for roughly 24 hours. The nitrifying bacteria consumes both forms, free and ionized, ammonia to create nitrite.

I'm not sure how prime deals with nitrite for 24 hours, but the cycle continues anyway.

How are you going about your cycle? Do you have a test kit to check parameters as you go along to ensure you're cycling and not stalling?

Advertisement
Jren
Prime will detoxify ammonia (NH3) by temporarily binding it into ammonium (NH4+) for roughly 24 hours. The nitrifying bacteria consumes both forms, free and ionized, ammonia to create nitrite.

I'm not sure how prime deals with nitrite for 24 hours, but the cycle continues anyway.

How are you going about your cycle? Do you have a test kit to check parameters as you go along to ensure you're cycling and not stalling?
I have apI master test kit. will my product do the same thing? I'm not sure if I'm stalling or not. the ammonia has been at 2 ppm for the past 3 days. the nitrites however, have been rising.

Grimund
I'm not familiar with that product.

Worse comes to worst, just add the conditioner and wait it out. If your kit is still reading ammonia after an hour (playing it safe), it most likely binds it into ammonium, like Prime. Ammonium is still BB consumable.

How much of a rise in nitrites have you gotten and are you adding liquid ammonia (specific doses) or attempting with food?

Jren
I'm not familiar with that product.

Worse comes to worst, just add the conditioner and wait it out. If your kit is still reading ammonia after an hour (playing it safe), it most likely binds it into ammonium, like Prime. Ammonium is still BB consumable.

How much of a rise in nitrites have you gotten and are you adding liquid ammonia (specific doses) or attempting with food?
I didnt add ammonia by itself... it just appeared in my tank. I suspect that its the bacterial product I used that contained ammonia. my nitrites is 0.50ppm now... compared to 0 2 days ago and 0.25 yesterday. adding the conditioner now.

Grimund
I didnt add ammonia by itself... it just appeared in my tank. I suspect that its the bacterial product I used that contained ammonia. my nitrites is 0.50ppm now... compared to 0 2 days ago and 0.25 yesterday. adding the conditioner now.
Are there fish in the tank?

Grimund
no fish in the tank, live plants yes.
You'll need to purchase ammonia to keep your cycle going. Ammonia is needed to keep feeding nitrites. Ammonia eating bacteria reproduce twice as fast as the nitrite eating ones, so keeping ammonia present will keep your bacteria fed until they can catch up enough for fish to be added.

It seems like the ammonia eating bacteria are starting to populate, which will decrease ammonia. Bacteria populate exponentially, 1-2 2-4 4-8 8-16.

Edit: cycling takes 2 weeks to 2 months, you're just getting started. Hate to be the one to spoil it.

Jren
You'll need to purchase ammonia to keep your cycle going. Ammonia is needed to keep feeding nitrites. Ammonia eating bacteria reproduce twice as fast as the nitrite eating ones, so keeping ammonia present will keep your bacteria fed until they can catch up enough for fish to be added.

It seems like the ammonia eating bacteria are starting to populate, which will decrease ammonia. Bacteria populate exponentially, 1-2 2-4 4-8 8-16.

Edit: cycling takes 2 weeks to 2 months, you're just getting started. Hate to be the one to spoil it.
welp its okay dude haha... hopefully for me its the 2 week one

Jren
oh and btw can I purchase ammonia from the lfs? its aqueous ammonia is it?

Grimund
Might be able to. I've never done a fishless cycle though. Others would have to chime in on what to look for at the store.

Generally, ammonia and water are the only ingredients that should be in it, I think

Jren
Might be able to. I've never done a fishless cycle though. Others would have to chime in on what to look for at the store.

Generally, ammonia and water are the only ingredients that should be in it, I think
I can get aqueous ammonia from school hehe

Jren

just a water test
ammonia:1.0ppm
nitrites: not sure lol
nitrates: not sure as well.

cud u help me check? sorry hehe I'm blind

Jren
What's your tap/source water parameters?
ammonia 0.25 ppm , 0 nitrites and nitrates

Grimund
ammonia 0.25 ppm , 0 nitrites and nitrates
Nitrates in 4 days? What did you use?

Edit: trick is to lay the tubes flat onto the card over the white sections. Much easier to tell the values

Jren
Nitrates in 4 days? What did you use?

Edit: trick is to lay the tubes flat onto the card over the white sections. Much easier to tell the values
I used microbe lift special blend. it was recommended to me by a friend who claimed that it can cycle a tank within 2 weeks. ill do that later when I get home from school today!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tiny_Tanganyikans
Replies
Views
Timboneio
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views