Can i add cherry shrimp? 20g fully stocked

JLAquatics

I'd like to add some cherry shrimp to my established, cycled 20g community. I know they are small bioload but I'm fully stocked so what do you think?

7 skirt tetra, 6 glow light tetra, 2 hillstream loaches, 1 honey gourami, 1 peacock gudgeon, 2 Amano shrimp, 2 mystery snails.

A mix of real and fake plants. Hob main filter and smaller sponge filter.
Bioload from the Cherry Shrimp would not be the concern here imo but there is a high hazard of the shrimp becoming a meal. I have a feeling that the shrimp would not last long with the Peacock Gudgeon or possibly the Skirt Tetras around. The Peacock Gudgeon would certainly eat baby shrimp and juveniles and the Skirt Tetras have a possibility of this behavior as well, they are larger tetras with some specimens reported to grow up to 3 inches at maturity. The small Cherry Shrimp would also be extremely vulnerable to hungry fish just after molting. If you did put some Cherry Shrimp in the tank, make sure it is very densely planted (preferably with lots of moss) to give the shrimp a chance at survival but I certainly wouldn't risk it. Do you have a picture of your current setup?

PAcanis

Yeah, take it from someone who can't find one cherry shrimp in a 27 cube that has a small cherry barb male that just came into his own... and practically doubled in size...
But maybe mine were really small.

Chris1212

Good points, thanks. My skirt tetras eat everything, they even steal food from the bottom away from the loaches. Yesterday I saw one take a pellet from one of the Amano.

JLAquatics

Good points, thanks. My skirt tetras eat everything, they even steal food from the bottom away from the loaches. Yesterday I saw one take a pellet from one of the Amano.
This behavior is precisely what worries me about adding dwarf shrimp such as Neocardinia to your setup. They would pursuit the small shrimp to the point of exhaustion and eventually death. Cherry shrimp are very small, most of them don't even grow past one inch as adults. If they did survive you would likely never see them often either which defeats the purpose of adding Cherry Shrimp to a setup. I would stick with larger shrimp such as the Amano Shrimp you already own. The last thing you want is to give your Tetras a very expensive meal out of your own pocketbook.

Chris1212

I'm convinced, thanks. I just like the bright colors. The Amano are actually kind of funny but drab colored

MasterPython

Unless you have a densly planted tank with some rock piles and other hiding spots your best bet would be get a 5 or 10 gallon for shrimp and put the culls in with your fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies