Can I Add Cherry Barbs To My Tank? 65 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Susiefoo, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Susiefoo

SusiefooWell Known MemberMember

I have a 65 gallon, 4-foot tank, heavily planted, established for about 4 months, with the following stock:

- 11 neon tetras
    - 10 harlequin rasboras
    - 6 albino corydoras
    - 6 otocinclus
    - 1 dwarf gourami

I would like to add cherry barbs - probably 10, but perhaps working up to 20 over time. Half male and female. Would this be OK? If so, should I stick closer to 10? The tank is very peaceful but I want more colour and activity!

I have a Fluval 306 external canister plus an Eheim Pickup 2012 internal running. I do 50% water changes every week.

2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I think you'll be okay there. You could do 20, but that is about the limit for a 65. You should also have 1 male for every 2-3 female cherry barbs.

3. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn’t, you’ve already got 4 schools which is pretty much the max in a 65g and fish number-wise I’d say your pretty close to the max as well. I think adding another school would really just cramp things up and wouldn’t be the best thing for the fish. If you add anything I’d just up the shoals/schools of the otos and cories by a few.

4. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I personally wouldn't add Cherry Barbs to this tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Thanks for input. There are quite a few schools but most of the fish are tiny and it's a 4 foot tank. It just looks very empty and I don't want more of the same. I know Aqadvisor is controversial on here but it has me at just over half stocked, which tbh is what it looks like to view. @TexasDomer would you possibly mind if I asked for your input as the resident expert? :)

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Not at all!

I agree with Fanatic; in a 4 ft tank, I wouldn't add a third school of an upper/mid dwelling species. I'd either add more neons and/or harlequins, or rehome one of the schools and adding the cherry barbs.

7. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Thank you :)

If I moved the neons to a different tank, how many cherries could I do?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  8. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

10-15 or so should be fine, though I think 20 would be fine too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice