Can I Add Cherry Barbs To My Tank?

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 65 gallon, 4-foot tank, heavily planted, established for about 4 months, with the following stock:

- 11 neon tetras
- 10 harlequin rasboras
- 6 albino corydoras
- 6 otocinclus
- 1 dwarf gourami

I would like to add cherry barbs - probably 10, but perhaps working up to 20 over time. Half male and female. Would this be OK? If so, should I stick closer to 10? The tank is very peaceful but I want more colour and activity!

I have a Fluval 306 external canister plus an Eheim Pickup 2012 internal running. I do 50% water changes every week.

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you'll be okay there. You could do 20, but that is about the limit for a 65. You should also have 1 male for every 2-3 female cherry barbs.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn’t, you’ve already got 4 schools which is pretty much the max in a 65 gallon and fish number-wise I’d say your pretty close to the max as well. I think adding another school would really just cramp things up and wouldn’t be the best thing for the fish. If you add anything I’d just up the shoals/schools of the otos and cories by a few.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally wouldn't add Cherry Barbs to this tank.

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for input. There are quite a few schools but most of the fish are tiny and it's a 4 foot tank. It just looks very empty and I don't want more of the same. I know Aqadvisor is controversial on here but it has me at just over half stocked, which tbh is what it looks like to view. TexasDomer would you possibly mind if I asked for your input as the resident expert?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not at all!

I agree with Fanatic; in a 4 ft tank, I wouldn't add a third school of an upper/mid dwelling species. I'd either add more neons and/or harlequins, or rehome one of the schools and adding the cherry barbs.

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you

If I moved the neons to a different tank, how many cherries could I do?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
10-15 or so should be fine, though I think 20 would be fine too!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom