20 Gallon Tank Can I add anymore fish to this stocking?

BettasAreSuperior

Hi guys, can I add any more fish to this stocking? It will be heavily planted, weekly WC's, the usual. It is a 20 gallon long. I don't want to change the stocking just asking if I can add more fish? Thanks in advance. I was thinking ototcinclus.

Stocking:
1 betta
9 ember tetras
6 corydoras. Sterbai or albino depending on what Aquatic arts has in stock.
A few other peaceful fish.

redmare

I probably wouldn't add anything else. If anything, I would bump up your existing schools if all is going well after a while. If you want something for algae control, shrimp or snails. With the betta in there, you want him to have lots of room to himself.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Hi guys, can I add any more fish to this stocking? It will be heavily planted, weekly WC's, the usual. It is a 20 gallon long. I don't want to change the stocking just asking if I can add more fish? Thanks in advance. I was thinking ototcinclus.

Stocking:
1 betta
9 ember tetras
Maybe you could up the corys to 8 or 9. I would recommend nerite snails, but I know you too well lol *scared* aaannnd Iii wwwilll neeeverr gooo a-againstt yyou yyyour hhhonor

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I probably wouldn't add anything else. If anything, I would bump up your existing schools if all is going well after a while. If you want something for algae control, shrimp or snails. With the betta in there, you want him to have lots of room to himself.
I agree with that, thanks.
Maybe you could up the corys to 8 or 9. I would recommend nerite snails, but I know you too well lol *scared* aaannnd Iii wwwilll neeeverr gooo a-againstt yyou yyyour hhhonor
Hahahaha, lol! YOU DARE GO AGAINST MY WILL? lol, jk. IMO nerite snails lay sticky, white, sesame seeds EVERYWHERE. I was considering mystery snails. I am gonna make a thread asking if I should get them later. Anyway, thanks

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Hahahaha, lol! YOU DARE GO AGAINST MY WILL AGAIN?! DONT YOU KNOW I HATTEEEE SNAILSSSSSSSS!?!??!?! lol, jk. IMO nerite snails lay sticky, white, sesame seeds EVERYWHERE. I was considering mystery snails. I am gonna make a thread asking if I should get them later. Anyway, thanks
I've gotten lucky so far and have chosen 2 males lol. Sesame seeds

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Hahahaha, lol! YOU DARE GO AGAINST MY WILL AGAIN?! DONT YOU KNOW I HATTEEEE SNAILSSSSSSSS!?!??!?! lol, jk. IMO nerite snails lay sticky, white, sesame seeds EVERYWHERE. I was considering mystery snails. I am gonna make a thread asking if I should get them later. Anyway, thanks
I would for sure get mysteries. Super fun snails, and not messy. If you get a pair, they’ll lay eggs on the tank rim occcasionally, but they lay them in neat little clumps that can easily be removed. Those actually require human care to hatch within a tank, so you don’t have to worry about them getting everywhere.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I've gotten lucky so far and have chosen 2 males lol. Sesame seeds
Wow. Lucky. Also, AcornTheBetta can you get a pic of your nerite snail's when it is against the glass? And can you take a side angle of your snail. Thanks.
I would for sure get mysteries. Super fun snails, and not messy. If you get a pair, they’ll lay eggs on the tank rim occcasionally, but they lay them in neat little clumps that can easily be removed. Those actually require human care to hatch within a tank, so you don’t have to worry about them getting everywhere.
Kribensis27 , If I get 1 female mystery snail will they lay eggs on the tank? Also, I heard mystery snails aren't good at eating algae. I saw a video on that. 1 mystery snail in a 20 gallon long in that video made no progress with the algae. The nerite snail did better. The nerite demolished the algae. I am considering nerites........actually

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Wow. Lucky. Also, AcornTheBetta can you get a pic of your nerite snail's when it is against the glass? And can you take a side angle of your snail. Thanks.

Kribensis27 , If I get 1 female mystery snail will they lay eggs on the tank? Also, I heard mystery snails aren't good at eating algae. I saw a video on that. 1 mystery snail in a 20 gallon long in that video made no progress with the algae. The nerite snail did better. The nerite demolished the algae. I am considering nerites........actually
Yeah let me get some pics...

As requested by her majesty lol.

20201102_102332.jpg
20201026_193552.jpg
20201026_194238.jpg

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I am so confused but that’s normal for me and my 1 IQ

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

She might lay eggs, but I would be an uncommon occurrence. Mysteries aren’t great at cleaning out already infested tanks, but they’re good enough at keeping algae from forming. They’ll eat the young algae that’s just starting to form. Nerites are definitely better if you have an algae filled tank already, though. Mysteries also love to snack on diatoms, so if you ever have problems with those, they can help. They won’t be your number one algae control guy, but they won’t lay eggs all over your tank. If you’re looking for something purely for algae control, go for a nerite and just deal with the the eggs (unless you get a male). If you want something that’s a little more active and more of a “pet” snail, go for a mystery. For your purposes, I’m thinking nerite.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Wait what’s happening?

Upvote 0

AltVzn

I also just got snails, and I got two mysteries and one nerite.

Honestly, I only got the nerite cause of their reputation of being GOOD cleaners. Whereas I got mystery snails cause I simply like how they look.

However, exact opposite happened; the mysteries were speedsters and ate majority of the mess. My mysteries were going up the tank and jumping off and gliding, whereas my nerite just moved an inch.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my nerite XDDD but I prefer mystery snails over nerites. Only down side is mystery snails poop A LOT.

I've only had them for three days, and look at the difference in my tank, especially the driftwood:
Before:

3422BEFD-2F39-4955-A586-C1EB755A5062.jpeg
After:

1BB74698-BE26-4ECC-84FF-5CBFF8383EE8.jpeg

Once the tank is "cleaned," I'm definitely rewarding them some vegetables/fruits XD

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Lol. I was trying to see if there was a difference between male and female nerites. I guess I will just have to guess. *mutters* I just guess I will have to convince my family to get a snail...
She might lay eggs, but it would be an uncommon occurrence. Mysteries aren’t great at cleaning out already infested tanks, but they’re good enough at keeping algae from forming. They’ll eat the young algae that are just starting to form. Nerites are definitely better if you have an algae filled tank already, though. Mysteries also love to snack on diatoms, so if you ever have problems with those, they can help. They won’t be your number one algae control guy, but they won’t lay eggs all over your tank. If you’re looking for something purely for algae control, go for a nerite and just deal with the the eggs (unless you get a male). If you want something that’s a little more active and more of a “pet” snail, go for a mystery. For your purposes, I’m thinking nerite.
Ahhhhh. I see. I will keep this in mind.
I also just got snails, and I got two mysteries and one nerite.

Honestly, I only got the nerite cause of their reputation of being GOOD cleaners. Whereas I got mystery snails cause I simply like how they look.

However, exact opposite happened; the mysteries were speedsters and ate majority of the mess. My mysteries were going up the tank and jumping off and gliding, whereas my nerite just moved an inch.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my nerite XDDD but I prefer mystery snails over nerites. Only down side is mystery snails poop A LOT.

I've only had them for three days, and look at the difference in my tank, especially the driftwood:
Before:

After:
Once the tank is "cleaned," I'm definitely rewarding them some vegetables/fruits XD
I am actually not a snail person. Lol. (People who saw my memes know that) And mystery snails moving out and about will gross me out. Hmmmm...I will think it over.

WAIT. Before I go, guys, wanted to ask something. Will ember tetras, betta, and corydoras eat 3 Amano shrimp? I really like shrimp over snails.....but I am considering both snails.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

The tetras and corydoras will leave them alone, but for the betta, it just depends on the individual.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

The tetras and corydoras will leave them alone, but for the betta, it just depends on the individual.
Ohhhh, I see. So, it is just a guessing game. Hmm....I will think it over.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Lol. I was trying to see if there was a difference between male and female nerites. I guess I will just have to guess. *mutters* I just guess I will have to convince my family to get a snail...

I am actually not a snail person. Lol. (People who saw my memes know that) And mystery snails moving out and about will gross me out. Hmmmm...I will think it over.

WAIT. Before I go, guys, wanted to ask something. Will ember tetras, betta, and corydoras eat 3 Amano shrimp? I really like shrimp over snails.....but I am considering both snails.
Nerite Snails are really cute when they eat. Just show them that. Plus, it's your tank...

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Stocking:
1 betta
9 ember tetras
No

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Nerite Snails are really cute when they eat. Just show them that. Plus, it's your tank...
Yeah, I agree. Who cares if there are sesame seeds on the driftwood?! lol.

Upvote 0

FishBoy101

This isn't productive and I disagree.

Stocking:
1 betta
9 ember tetras
This matters mainly on the betta's personality, you might be able to add maybe snails and bump up the cory school to 8 or 9 as AcornTheBetta said above. Ammano shrimp could work, but it all just goes down to the betta. The corys and ember tetra would eat a larger shrimp. Good luck!

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Yeah, I agree. Who cares if there are sesame seeds on the driftwood?! lol.
pUrFeCt fOr bUrGeRs!
EDIT: My spel gud

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Yeah let me get some pics...

AcornTheBetta , in the 2nd and 3rd picture, is that dwarf sag from Marcus Fish tanks? Just wondering how the dwarf sag looks.

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

Sneaky sneak a different Cory species. Shhhh. You heard and saw nothing.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta , in the 2nd and 3rd picture, is that dwarf sag from Marcus Fish tanks? Just wondering how the dwarf sag looks.
Yes. That was like just after I planted it. I can get a pick of it now if you want.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

The attention to detail is incredible definitely not farming posts
I agree. It was incredibly detailed. If you answer a post, answer it right.
Yes. That was like just after I planted it. I can get a pick of it now if you want.
Ohhhh okay. Yeah, If you have time I would like to see a pic, thanks.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I agree. It was incredibly detailed. If you answer a post, answer it right.

Ohhhh okay. Yeah, If you have time I would like to see a pic, thanks.
Yeah gimmie a sec as I'm in class rn.
The attention to detail is incredible definitely not farming posts
Quality post! mattgirl you have competition

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Okay. Lol, Yeah, mattgirl 's posts are very thorough and detailed.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Utterly poetic. The beautiful craftsmanship of this eye-opening revelation is astonishing.

Upvote 0

AltVzn

Ah makes sense XD I didn't find them cute until I get them lol, but all to their own preferences XDD

I was going to get shrimps first cause I didn't like snails as much, but I did more research and shrimps seem harder to take care of.

Plus, I think once they shed their exoskeleton they're super vulnerable. The betta might attack/kill them at that time.

I haven't had them so this is all just on the research I made. In speculation, I found shrimps harder to care for compared to snails. They're super sensitive to water parameters, especially when they're shedding. Whereas snails will be snails, but obviously still needs good water though.

But for keeping shrimps with bettas, it's a binary result. Either they get killed and become expensive food, or the bettas leave them alone.

That's what I think, and I feel like that's what happens majority of the time. UNLESS you make a score with the betta you have. But once again, everything I said about shrimps is based on research, no experience XDDD

Upvote 0

redmare

Ah makes sense XD I didn't find them cute until I get them lol, but all to their own preferences XDD

I was going to get shrimps first cause I didn't like snails as much, but I did more research and shrimps seem harder to take care of.

Plus, I think once they shed their exoskeleton they're super vulnerable. The betta might attack/kill them at that time.

I haven't had them so this is all just on the research I made. In speculation, I found shrimps harder to care for compared to snails. They're super sensitive to water parameters, especially when they're shedding. Whereas snails will be snails, but obviously still needs good water though.

But for keeping shrimps with bettas, it's a binary result. Either they get killed and become expensive food, or the bettas leave them alone.

That's what I think, and I feel like that's what happens majority of the time. UNLESS you make a score with the betta you have. But once again, everything I said about shrimps is based on research XDDD
So my experience with cherry shrimp is... if they're not in a brand new tank, they're pretty much bulletproof! Mine have handled everything ridiculously well. The vulnerable phase after they shed is quite short and as long as there's places for them to hide they should be very safe during that time. My betta happens to be SUPER peaceful with shrimp- I put my cherry culls in there hoping they would be snacks for him but nope! I mean, he's probably eaten a fresh baby or two but I've never seen it and they're breeding up a storm with him. The shrimp survived the cross country move and some accidentally stayed in the water that froze- layer of ice over top- and then that killed some so there was a crazy ammonia spike (I'm talking 4+ppm) and several dozen survived that.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

*clears throat* Ahem, AcornTheBetta . Where is the picture?! just kidding. Just reminding you in case you forgot.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

We don't have any betta but we do have 3 Amano shrimp in our community tank: platies, swordtail, glo tetras and a Bolivian ram and the fish don't pay any attention to them. If they leave an exoskeleton on the substrate some of the fish nibble on the empty shell but the shrimp do a good job staying hidden until they have a new shell.

They also made it through an ich treatment (Nox Ich) so they are tough.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

We don't have any betta but we do have 3 Amano shrimp in our community tank: platies, swordtail, glo tetras and a Bolivian ram and the fish don't pay any attention to them. If they leave an exoskeleton on the substrate some of the fish nibble on the empty shell but the shrimp do a good job staying hidden until they have a new shell.

They also made it through an ich treatment (Nox Ich) so they are tough.
Hmmmm...I think I might put a few amano shrimp in there. In life u gotta take risks.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

*clears throat* Ahem, AcornTheBetta . Where is the picture?! just kidding. Just reminding you in case you forgot.
Ok. So I was going to get it during recess, but then my mandarin teacher made me and my whole class go on a zoom with her so I didn't have time.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Ok. So I was going to get it during recess, but then my mandarin teacher made me and my whole class go on a zoom with her so I didn't have time.
Oh okay. No worries. Take your time. Not trying to force.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

BettasAreSuperior here ya go. Sorry for the bad photography skills

20201119_115333.jpg

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Hmmmm...I think I might put a few amano shrimp in there. In life u gotta take risks.

They are funny to watch too. A couple of ours are really bold and come down to the substrate to steal food even when the fish are close by. I can't vouch for their algae cleaning prowess and they haven't shown much interest in eating anything other than fish food.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I wish I had recess mandarin is so hard to learn I tried once and I gave up in like a day

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I wish I had recess mandarin is so hard to learn I tried once and I gave up in like a day
Lol except I'm actually good at it, but everyone else is so bad.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

BettasAreSuperior here ya go. Sorry for the bad photography skills
Thanks! They look shorter. I like the short dwarf sag. IMO looks bettter.
They are funny to watch too. A couple of ours are really bold and come down to the substrate to steal food even when the fish are close by. I can't vouch for their algae cleaning prowess and they haven't shown much interest in eating anything other than fish food.
hahaha, cute.

How many Amano shrimp should I get?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Thanks! They look shorter. I like the short dwarf sag. IMO looks bettter.

hahaha, cute.

How many Amano shrimp should I get?
I can assure you they are taller

Upvote 0

AltVzn

So my experience with cherry shrimp is... if they're not in a brand new tank, they're pretty much bulletproof! Mine have handled everything ridiculously well. The vulnerable phase after they shed is quite short and as long as there's places for them to hide they should be very safe during that time. My betta happens to be SUPER peaceful with shrimp- I put my cherry culls in there hoping they would be snacks for him but nope! I mean, he's probably eaten a fresh baby or two but I've never seen it and they're breeding up a storm with him. The shrimp survived the cross country move and some accidentally stayed in the water that froze- layer of ice over top- and then that killed some so there was a crazy ammonia spike (I'm talking 4+ppm) and several dozen survived that.
Ohhh! Then it was the right choice for me to not get shrimps "yet" then. My tank is still new (1 month running) and barely any algae, but TONS of white fungus. Add on the fact that I don't have much hiding spaces.

But gotta say, my snails cleared out the white fungus in 4 days though but I also got them knowing if ever the algae/white fungus runs out, I can simply give them a piece of fruit of vegetable with no struggle XD

Honestly, I was going to get shrimps cause they look far more active, but cause of my tanks conditions, they just seem too hard to take care of. However, the snails weren't a disappointment either: fast cleaning AND I get to see flying snails XDDD

The mystery snails are also faster than I thought, like way faster. I feel like they're half fish half snail, whereas nerites are true snails

Good luck with that! Once you get the Amano, please let us know what happened!

Cause I'm also looking forward to adding shrimps; not any sooner but I kinda want to XDDD May the shrimps survive XD

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Good luck with that! Once you get the Amano, please let us know what happened!

Cause I'm also looking forward to adding shrimps; not any sooner but I kinda want to XDDD May the shrimps survive XD
Hahaha. I will let you know if the betta doesn't massacre them all. How many amano shrimp should I get guys?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Hahaha. I will let you know if the betta doesn't massacre them all. How many amano shrimp should I get guys?
I have no idea so this is just a rough estimate but maybe 10-20 but then again idk so don’t come at me. Talking to you Acorn lol

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I actually watched a video of a betta eating a live cherry shrimp. It was terrible. I don't think I can watch or get through that, even tho it is just a shrimp. I don't want to risk it. The video was terrifying.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views